xvs 950 drive belt and rear sprocket

rock n ride
This post is 3290 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys ,i recently had to have the drive belt replaced on my midnight star to the sum of £505 the bike is only 2 years old and has done 21 thousand miles and according to the manual should be replaced at 25 thousand,when the job was done at my local garage i was told that they suspected the rear sprocket was worn and advised i have this replaced to save damaging the new belt,this is going to cost another £300 plus the labour ,this has been a serious kick in the balls to be honest and i wondered if any one else has had a worn rear sprocket at 21 thousand miles ? info and advice appreciated , the bike appears to be running fine but i dont want to wreck the new belt.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my belt look good at 30.000. everything is ok and I put my mechanic to take a look at the belt and sprocket at every 6000 miles service. anyway, how is this "they suspect" if something is damaged here they should see. also, if i`n not wrong and my memory is still good, they don`t say in the manual nothing about replacing at 25.000 miles, they say to check the belt.

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply . I'm starting to think they might be a bit clueless , I can't see any damage to the sprocket other than the odd scratch and another mechanic told me on the phone exactly what you said about the suspected line on the paperwork.

There's a whole bunch of teeth missing and chewed up on it , it's why I had it changed , it all started with the belt occasionally slipping when I pulled away quickly or went for an overtake I think that's what started the teeth tearing in the first place . I don't think it was tightened enough after a tire change a good way back .

the reason for this damage can be the wrong adjustment of the rear wheel. you will find in the owner manual how tough the belt must be. if not, if i`m not wrong, on the frame in the rear wheel area, is a sticker with tyre preasure, belt adjustment, etc. for a correct adjustment I think must be somewhere at the line no 4. some mechanics have the temptation to leave the belt a bit free, like they adjust a chain but this is wrong. maybe when you change the rear tyre you or who do this, fail to correctly adjust the rear wheel. I had this slipping problem when I change first time the tyres but after a correct adjustment, everything was ok. that wrong adjustment make the teeth blow up every time you force the acceleration. be careful at belt adjustment or you will have to change again the belt and is f expensive. I don`t say this is the reason in your case but this is one of the reason for belt damage.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info , I found the gauge and the belt is in line with the 4th line at the moment which makes me wonder how slack it may of been as the paper work says they tightened it some more after a test ride as it was still slipping .

That's odd as I've read of 1300 belts last 60-80,000 miles. I bet it got damaged by lack of adjustment or the crap stone chippings they use to resurface our roads.

More than likely , I've put 150 miles on it this week and can't see any sign of it damaging or wearing the new belt at all do I think I will just take it easy and keep an eye on it for the time being

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online