Virago power trouble.

sunsprie
This post is 3299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone.

My old virago 125 which I'm giving to my brother is doing my head in.

First off the coil was sparking and I got it changed, when I got it changed the spark plug started sparking through the rubber, I put another thick part of rubber round it and it seems to be working. Although when it rains it feels abit dodgy going from first gear to 2nd, like it's about to cut out but doesn't.

Now when I turn on the bike sometimes it's like the battery's dead. I have to run and start her. I put a new regulator in not long very long ago and the battery is fine. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What's the voltage at idle and at 3k revs? How do you know the battery is fine? Are the battery terminals clean and tight? Why Bodge the HT plug lead?

It was up at mechanics and he checked things over. He told me the regulator was fine, I took the battery out and put it on charge. It had a full charge.

I'm not much good at the ins and outs of relating bike or looking for faults. Bodge ht plug lead? I had to rubber round it to stop the spark coming through, I have a video but it's taking ages to upload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to confirm that the battery is charging and that the battery is holding a charge, especially under load (when using the starter motor).

I said bodge because I'm your first post you said you put an extra piece of rubber around "it". It sounds like the ht lead was arcing out and it may have been better to change the ht lead and plug cap.

That is a great video of the plug arcing. If you have a little spare length on your ht lead unscrew the plug cap. Trim 10mm of the ht lead. Re screw in the plug cap and try it again. You would be better to change the cap and remove, clean and re fit the spark plug too. Not only will it run rough but it will allow Un burnt petrol into that cylinder which will wash the bore and could ruin the compression in it.

• Like 1