Dragstar 650 - Engine management light

Finch127
This post is 3314 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey,

I have a 2005 Dragstar 650 with 28k miles on her.

Recently the speedo cable broke on me and when I drove it, and tried to redline it , the engine management light would come on and a rev limiter would kick in , like the bike was choking itself , there was 3 flashes of the engine management light when the kill switch was hit

So I replaced the speedo cable thinking it was that causing the issue but its still happening :S

Now there is 4 flashes of the engine management light instead

What has changed since before this happened:

*Engine oil change

*HID kit installed ( No wires modified to do this - its plug & play)

*Basic alarm installed (Only two wires to the battery - no wires modified)

*Speedo cable broken

What i've tried so far:

*Speedo cable replaced

*Disconnecting the the loom and the alarm/HID kit from the battery overnight

*Tested the resistance of the TPS sensor which is reading at just over 6ohms

Anybody ever come across this ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

update on this:

When driving at 50mph in 5th, if I pull the clutch lever in, and pin the throttle its fine, no management light is thrown up and it revs freely

When i release the clutch and pin the throttle and the revs climb , the light comes on and the revs limit :S

Aye finch " there must be a sensor fault, youl need to get it plugged in to a diagnostic lappy, to clear the fault ,or renew the sensor,

Might be unrelated but did you replace the speedo cable with OEM or some cheapie alternative? Word of advice: use the OEM cable, as the cheapies are not quite the right length they should be.

Yeah , Ill have to bring it into a local dealer at this stage , hopefully it isnt the CDI unit, they cost quiet a bit, maybe just the TPS

Used an alternative speedo cable , was the exact same length as I still had the old one thrown on the garage floor and compared them

When I used the alternative, it kept coming loose at the bottom. Never figured out why. Then I bit the bullet, got the OEM one and no probs since.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI

Fixed it thank god

Noticed that there was a slight nick in the positive wire coming from the loom , that connects to the rear cylinders ignition coil

Wrapped it up and the massive 40bhp has been restored :)

• Like 1