75 DT 250 oil dramas

mickboz80
This post is 3394 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all I restoring old DT 250 and want to see if I can get the engine running before shelling out $$. For oil pump.

My question is if I premix do I not fill with oil and how do I get oil back in the transmission? Have read that 4stroke oil is meant to be used in trannie but as first time working on bikes can not find a filler - prob starring me in face - and how

much?

Do I just put on side and fill through drain plug?

Please help.

I Can not find fill and are just tempted to turn engine on side and fill through drain plug...

Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Moved to workshop.

2 strokes use 2 kinds of oil, gearbox and 2 stroke.These are very different and do not mix.

Gearbox oil goes in the gearbox and is used the same as a 4 stroke, it lubricates the cogs. There should be a cap on the gearbox which the gearbox oil goes in. Use bike oil, not car oil.

2 stroke oil goes in the 2 stroke tank, or in your case - without a pump, mixes with the fuel and gets burnt with the fuel. A common box ratio is 33:1 so for every 33 parts of fuel you add 1 part of 2 stroke oil. Some people mix in a container and pour this into the fuel tank and some just calculate it by knowing how much fuel the fuel tank takes and pour the right amount of 2 stroke oil into it.

Thank you, I think I have confused myself, I was thinking that there was meant to be a filler directly into crank case to lube transmission, however, it is apparent to me that the filler on the outside cover must be for the transmission and must transfer it to the inner engine...feeling bit stupid now, and I'm guessing that when I connect pump I will need to also install oil tank for mixing oil.

Thanks again

No worries.

"..and I'm guessing that when I connect pump I will need to also install oil tank for mixing oil..." yep. it's a lot easier :thumb:

Is your oil tank missing? , its below seat, on right side , should have sight glass below sticker Enduro 250, :yeah:

give us the engine and frame numbers , to see if its been messed with , :eusa_shifty: should start 512- 000-00

tank caps bit of a mess, Yours is a 1975 DT250B , matching numbers too :thumb: . Your in the States I take it ?

The oil pumps are very reliable , :yeah:

And its the Inside of the fuel tank thats important, [ no leaks,rust etc, ] fuel caps are available on ebay,,

Cheers mate, I'm in Australia, just want to get it going before I start to shell out too much $$ for it.

If I can get her all cleaned up and going then I'll look around for oil pump and tank.

I have the bottom end all back together and should have frame all cleaned up and re-sprayed this weekend will post updated picks soon.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online