TZR125 Transmission oil problem.

ColinF
This post is 3450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, new to the forum so hope someone can help. Just rebuilt an '88 TZR125 (2RK).Engine work included rebore and crankseals which i did while the engine was out but without splitting the crankcases.When i was filling the transmission with oil the sightglass showed it full with only about 400cc of oil.As i was expecting to put 750-800cc in it i'd actually filled it above the sightglass before noticing.I drained out the excess until it was at the right level which meant it only had about 400cc in it! There is no loss of coolant and only clean transmission oil came out.Removed right hand (clutch) cover and clutch to investigate.Does the oil pass through the small hole above and slightly left of the gear selector ? if so it looks like something on the transmission side is covering it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Did you run the engine after filling with oil to see if the level dropped ? It usually takes a while for the oil to drain down into the crankcase/gearbox from the clutch cover. If you look near the transmission oil filler on the clutch cover you should see an amount i.e 750cc which is the same as 750ml which is what you need to refill with after an oil change. Remember when checking the oil level through the sightglass the bike should be stood upright on level gound with both wheels on the ground.

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, the bike hasn't been run yet since rebuild.It's on a lift/bench so it is upright and level.It's a learner bike but i'm 50 and have experience of rebuilding 2strokes (maico,husky,Sachs,RM,CR,YZ moto-x,Gasgas,Bultaco,Fantic,Beta trials plus GT,RD etc).Looking at the crankcase with the clutch cover off and measuring where the sightglass level would be it looks like the oil level should come to just above the selector mechanism but i just can't see an obvious place for the oil to get into the gearbox.........more tea and head scratching required!

I have no experience with a tzr,but I have see cheap gaskets that didn't have a hole cut in them to alow the oil to flow freely into the gear box from the clutch area.hence the need to run the bike might be worth looking at it that way? :eusa_think:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online