why so cheap?!

GT80GUY
This post is 3417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone I restored a yamaha gt80 and I've heard people say they're not worth anything. but I've looked on kijiji and eBay and I found 8 of them for sale (in all of canada) and 1 complete bike in terrible condition on eBay for 999.99$ (totally ridiculous) but how can these bikes be so invaluable if they're so rare?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Because they are have to compete with market forces. As an 80cc they can't be ridden regularly to commute and the like. I am not sure how rare they are but what do you do with the bike once restored? An old 250cc up can still hold its own in today's traffic, an 80 can't. Think about what you would like to believe your bike is worth and then see what you can buy for that kind of money.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well theyre not so cheap in the UK, but thats because they rarely come up for sale here, I know cause I'd been looking for a good one for years.

I wanted one so bad that I paid way over the odds for an old wreck and then hundreds and hundres on importing parts from the USA and Canada to complete it with. I would have been happy to have paid £2000 GBP ($3100 USD) for a concourse one to save me the work of having to do all the work on mine but if someone wanted to prise my one away from me now theyd need a lot of money.

I think another reason there's so few about is that any that are complete and working soon get stripped down for parts as they're worth way more in pieces to anyone whos got the time to part them out.