Help with frame/engine numbers

frodo2014
This post is 3520 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Recently acquired a barn find DT125R. Bike is in a shocking state and came in various boxes etc. Whilst putting it together to see what parts are missing, I got the frame number from the neck of the bike, and emailed Yam Customer Support who have come back telling me its a 1990 DT125R, first registered in 1992, and provided me with the registration number (as number plate is missing). I then done one of these online vehicle checks to check the history (specifically stolen etc.) and it came back all clear.

When lifting out the engine and making a start on stripping it, it looks as though the engine number is all scratched! :o

Is this a tell-tale sign that the engine could be from a stolen bike (since the rest of it checks out all ok) ?

Would this cause a problem when i go to re-register the bike to get a V5 or send it for an MOT when its ready? Is there anything i can do, or am i stuck to buying a complete new engine?

Many thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No " the registration/ M.O.T is done on the frame number, it just means its a non matching bike, & lowers the resale value, :yeah: as you have the plate just send off for the V5 ,

thanks blackhat, thats fab - will send off for a new V5 and SORN at the same time.

I've also picked up a seized bottom end on fleabay for £25 inc postage with number intact so i can strip it and rebuild using a mix of my parts and new - was going to split mine anway and replace all seals etc as was left out in the elements with no head on, but crank still turns without any problems.

Thanks again :)