shoggoth80
This post is 6647 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys... new to the forum... seems like a pretty cool place. i got my first yamaha last week. it needs a lot of help, but should be a fun overall project.. it's a 1976 DT400. own a number of other machines, but this one is pretty greek to me (a bunch of little bits like compression releases that i have never messed with before, and apparently a 6 volt electrical system). i am hoping to build a street tracker out of the thing... just think that would be pretty fun way to go with it, and look pretty sharp in the process. figured i would find people who know more than i do on here, and attempt to pick some brains, and add what i can to the forum while i am at it. well, that's it for now!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Shoggoth

Nice collection of 2-Wheelers you've got there ;)

Myself, I've always thought the DT400 would make a great Street-Tracker. B) ...

As they are too heavy for off-road use, but make good power for the street....

& besides.....Ridin' 2-strokers on the street is a kick in the butt! :thumb:

indeed! the kawasaki KH400 is a 3 cylinder 2 stroke street machine... it's one of the smaller triples, but is still a blast and a half to ride. the H2 is it's larger brother... that's gota long ways to go though... it's just a frame, a front end, a caliper, a swingarm (with no shocks to mount it up yet), and a pair of wheels/clapped out tires. one day it'll be a monster (parts are HARD to come by for that one, and they aren't cheap). my idea for the tracker:

DT400 bottom end, YZ400 jug, YZ400 expansion chamber, DT400 head, boyesen rad vavles if they make them for the old YZ, flat slide carb with a pod/uni air filter, 19'' wheels (wouldn't be a true tracker otherwise) and whatever good front end i can cram on there. anyone know the fork diameter for a '76 DT400?

• Admin

Welcome to the forum mate... Im really fancying a super moto for my next bike a good old 2 stroke thumper... something i can leave out side and get wet! as i wont have a garage :angry:

my idea for the tracker:

DT400 bottom end, YZ400 jug, YZ400 expansion chamber, DT400 head, boyesen rad vavles if they make them for the old YZ, flat slide carb with a pod/uni air filter, 19'' wheels (wouldn't be a true tracker otherwise) and whatever good front end i can cram on there. anyone know the fork diameter for a '76 DT400?

That sounds like a good recipe! You'll definitely get alot more outta that YZ jug. ;) ...& I do think Boyesen makes reeds for that beast.....@ least they used to. :unsure:

If you're gonna change that front end....Why not work from the triple clamps down......maybe also from a YZ?.....then you'd only have to match up bearings to fit the clamps to the steering head.

I've got a similar mod in the works for my XT. ;)

yeah, i am pretty antsy about getting the thing rolling... i figure i'll start with the motor, and nab up any bits that happen to be convenient... but getting a good solid powerplant is fits priority for it. after that, rolling gear, and then after that, i would say the electrics, then and only then, after everything else has been sorted, the bodywork. two strokes are a blast to ride on the pavement, and since i live in city, and well, have a dirt bike (with my parents...they live in the sticks), why not make it as fun (intepret peppy) as possible on a budget? most of this stuff doesn't appear to be too pricey, and it is only a single (a top end job for my kawasaki would be like...$900 or so :angry: ). top end for a DT? somewhere between $60-110 new and most likely includes the rings (kawasaki=sold seperately).

good luck with your XT mods!

Edited by shoggoth80

Yeah....Big Singles do have their advantages ;)

A good friend of mine is selling me a complete front end (from the Grips clear down to the knobbies) from a '92 CR125....all for only $100! B) I'll just need to source out the correct size bearings for the steering head & then mod the top triple clamp to accept the gauge's from the XT. Next winter, I hope to go through the head with a little polishing & some new valve guides.....Then install some fresh rings while I've got it apart. That same friend is a Metal Fabricator by trade, & said he'd love to help me out with bending up a new tailpipe to match up with a spare Kerker alum. can that I have left over from my old Seca550. So if I play my cards right, this whole mod package shouldn't cost more than about 5 Franklins......& when it's done, I'll be able to do some mean stoppies with it! :thumb:

sweet deal on the front end!

i'll be doing one of three things, by my planning: looking for DT400 forks, looking for street forks of the same diameter, or looking to find another front end altogether... perhaps a yamaha XS series machine... they all used 19'' front wheels from what i have been told, and it would allow me to get the tracker sized front wheel, as well as a disc brake front unit. rear wheel, some random wheel that fits the swinger perhaps... not very good at making spacers and whatnot, so it may just be easier to nab a DT400 wheel/axle/spacer, and get a 19'' wheel laced to that. and since i still have the rear shocks on the DT, that would take care of the rolling chassis... and well, i dunno about upgrading suspension yet... i figure i might as well see how the rear feels. before committing myself to spending more money... cheaper to use what you've got right? i'll be shooting some emails to the yamaha dealer, see if they can nab reeds for a YZ400, or a DT400 (if by some chance the jug gets sold before i can nab it, i have a backup contingency). good times.