Calling XJ6 owners :))

joe.b
This post is 3602 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I own an XJ6 and just bought myself some renthal streetfighter handle bars,they are approx 100mm longer than standard bars si when I fitted then the cables were pulling too tight,has anybody fitted longer bars and got over the problem I have?

I know I've seen somewhere an XJ6 with these type of bars on so I'm guessing it can be done.

Also if someone's reading this could some one give me the measurement from top of yoke to centre of handles bars as I'm thinking that the risers I have on may not be the originals and hindering the fitting of the new bars ...

Thanks muchly :))))

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you fit longer bars you need longer cables, your best bet is to measure the present cable length then find a bike with the correct new length you want and fit those, watch out for the nipple type tho as it's a bugger trying to unsolder them and resolder the correct one on. Most bike specs have a cable length in their workshop book or you can simply ask your local dealer or mechanic what might fit.

Cheers,that sounds like a hell of a lot of work to me though,I'm surprised there isn't 50mm extra play either side though,not a lot is it.

Got a feeling I'll be scrapping this idea :(

image-10.jpg

Hey joe I have fitted a set of renthal braced, they were tighter but not to the extreme that I could not fit them, found that the cables on the right hand side were fouling on the ignition barrel & simply zippy clipped it out of the way still with enough movement to not be to tight that it could cause an issue.

If you need a hand just let me know :)

• Like 1

Awesome,my bars I'm trying to fit are approx 740mm they are renthal streetfighters.(is that about the size of yours?)

Almost lost hope that these could not be fitted so chuffed to bits it can be done.

The bars I have according to the website I got them from and even renthal say that the bars are 755mm wide so I'm positive yours will fit your bike sorry took so long to reply, working 2-10 is horrid for forum replies haha

Shaun

• Like 1

No problem,yeah think mine are 755mm,I'll have another crack at it this week or the weekend.

If I get stuck or any problems I'll stop you a msg..cheers Shaun :)

No problem, I'm about all weekend, where abouts are you from? I thought it would be a nightmare when I first started but pleased with the outcome of doing it :) make sure you have some electrical tape ready to drill the holes into the bars for the lugs on controls :)

Message me if you need any help & I'll try my best

Shaun

Ahh not that close to offer a hand then, yeah the lugs just put them ish where you want them.

once your grips will be on, then put some electrical tape around the bar

Push the controls nice and tight onto the tape so that the lug will leave an indentation on the tape

Start drilling with a smaller drill bit think biggest size used was 6mm or 7mm (don't quote me) then work your way up with bigger so 3mm..4mm so on so forth, saves drilling one spot for ages trying to get a big hole from nothing lol (that's what I did anyways)

Good luck!!!!!!

Hi Shaun,well to be honest mate I gave it a fair crack of the whip but it just weren't happening,I resorted to changing to some renthal flat bars in the end, they ate slightly longer than the standard but shorter than the braced.

Tbf I really like the look of the bars and finished them off with some bar end mirrors.

Gives it a subtle street fighter look.

Really just left with getting some aftermarket foot pegs and the bike is more or less complete ,will get some pix up ASAP as soon as I suss out how to upload in here lol

fair enough then Joe, atleast you gave it a good go! if you find some pegs that look a decent quality then let me know I have been looking for ages, get some pics up, upload them to photobucket then use the IMG code copy and paste onto this forum, works spot on :)

Shaun

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online