Rd r r - the tale of 3 RD400's - More of a saga than a project.

DirtyDT
This post is 3297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

More to come later but I ordered 2 of each of the following. Main jets, pilot jets, needle valve assemblies, gaskets and main jet washers. With a little postage the cost was 50 odd quid. Allens are not too far from where I work.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I ordered them yesterday after lunch and they arrived today. I looked at the receipt and the 2 needle valves were over £14 each excluding VAT - OUCH!!

rd4001-018.jpg

A few other bits arrived too.

rd4001-019.jpg

I had to buy 4 needles valves for the FZ, still smarting

• 2 weeks later...

rd4001-029.jpg
rd4001-030.jpg
rd4001-031.jpg
rd4001-032.jpg
rd4001-033.jpg
rd4001-034.jpg
rd4001-035.jpg
rd4001-036.jpg
rd4001-037.jpg
rd4001-040.jpg
rd4001-041.jpg
rd4001-038.jpg
rd4001-039.jpg

About to rebuild the front master cylinder

Calipers boxed to be sent off to be refurbished.

Forks off for fork seals change.

Proper 400 airbox to go on.

Engine casings going to be resprayed.

New brake lines ordered

Plus a stack of other stuff.

• Like 1

Good to see you gettin stuck in, :yeah: amazin the amount of time you need for a resto.

And money John.

This is just a tidy up. Resto begins with RD4002 and 3. 2 is another D and 3 is a C. C should begin when I pick up some parts from the ACRD rally at the beginning of July.

Jealous.

I don't have the time, space or money.

What is your finish point? Useable classic like my tdr or proper mint.

......I don't have the time, space or money.....

Nor do I really. My other half is saying I should retire in a few years but I don't know if that is really affordable. I am not enjoying work at the moment and am thinking about getting a "proper" job again. Space - I thought there would be enough and there is, but only just!

....What is your finish point? Useable classic like my tdr or proper mint.

Usable classic. Any restore is only as good as it's worst part. It will get tidier as I go through bits but all the odds and sods are adding up to a small fortune. At least they are mainly available - unlike the TS parts. The plan is to get this on the road for the ACRD meet. It is MOT'ed and insured but things like perished tyres, leaking fork seals (with the fluid on the front disk) etc worried me. I have new tyres on new rims, the forks will be done today and I am waiting for the next delivery from Yambits.

Once this is on the road and reliable I will probably move on to RD400-3 which is a C. I have a rolling frame (MOT'ed and taxed) to pick up and the plan is to strip RD400-2 and transfer the parts, restoring as I go. I need the different rear end and seat so I am keeping my eyes open. Probably with a set of stainless spannies on it as they are cheaper than standard exhausts (when I say cheaper I mean it is all relative; £550 against about £1,000). I have a "C" 400 lump for it as RD400-2 has the 250 engine in it.

I keep looking at the TS and thinking about selling it. It has done about 600 miles since the total restore in 2011/12. That needs the exhaust painted and the over charging fixed.

The YA-6 is still waiting as will be the RD400-2.

At least the FZ8 is running very well.

More to come later.

Took the heads and barrels off for a clean, repaint and hone. Bores on +2.00 but good inside.

rd4001-045.jpg
rd4001-046.jpg
rd4001-047.jpg
rd4001-048.jpg
rd4001-042.jpg
rd4001-043.jpg
rd4001-044.jpg

Forks off and the leaky seals changed.

rd4001-050.jpg
rd4001-051.jpg

Master cylinder painted while I wait for a repair kit.

rd4001-052.jpg
rd4001-053.jpg

A bit more painting

rd4001-054.jpg
rd4001-055.jpg

A bit of first polishing.

rd4001-056.jpg
rd4001-049.jpg

Calipers sent off for refurbishment

Front wheel disk off for a clean and to change rims.

More stuff ordered.

+2mm on the bore, i thought you need head work to alter the squish at over 1.5... :eusa_shifty:

just asking like,,,, :eusa_think:

I had mine machined as the bore was getting too big. I also reduced the squish while I was doing it.

20121105145819.jpg

I don't plan on going over the +2.00 the next stage would be to have the barrels re-sleeved. I have another set of barrels that also need to be re-sleeved. I am going to avoid messing with the squish - for the time being at least. If another set of barrels come along then I might go for them but it is one of the RD items that people want to hold on to.

Your right there Dirty good barrels are tough to find.

I thought I had ordered the repair kit for the front brake cylinder but the latest pack of parts arrived today and I hadn't. Damn. Ordered now though.

The current MOT had notchy head bearings as an advisory so these have been changed.

Second carb in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Having multiple projects on the go at the same time, a white board comes in handy for listing the parts to order,and keeping track of the next to do's I find i dont miss ordering stuff since I started using it

Having multiple projects on the go at the same time, a white board comes in handy for listing the parts to order,and keeping track of the next to do's I find i dont miss ordering stuff since I started using it

True but I would have to learn to read and write first.

Errr....................................its a bit too late for that already!!

One carb rebuilt.

front master cylinder rebuilt.

Rear brake cylinder off and stripped.

Left hand crank cover off for painting.

2 stroke oil tank almost emptied to remove the tank. I started to empty in into an old bottle, Got waylaid with something else and the bottle filled and then overflowed all over the floor :shakeno: . Got some paper towels down at the moment to start the clear up. I have to pop out later so I will see if I can get some cat litter.

Front

rd4001-058.jpg

rd4001-057.jpg

rd4001-059.jpg

rd4001-063.jpg

Rear

rd4001-060.jpg

rd4001-061.jpg

rd4001-062.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have any pictures of the rebuilt carb - interested to see what it looks like after being cleaned sonically?

Really enjoying your latest project - you're a motivational force for the rest of us!