What's the difference between '03 XVS 650 and the '04 XVS 650?

GrumGrum
This post is 3642 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am probably being rally stupid here but looking for new pipes and it seems half the ones I like are for the later model! Mine is a late '03 custom.

But V&H have the short shots up for '04 and up :s

Looking to get a black set too so not sure where I would even start!!

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nothing mate, i have the 2001 model and i was going to get the V&H short Shots too (still will some time soon) and they will fit my bike.

What site are you getting them from? if its Metric Crusiers then if they don't fit im 99.9% sure he gives full refunds if you still have the packaging and they are not fooked.

perfect thanks mate. just wanted to be sure as i have heard it uses the mounting from the existing exhaust??

next step indicators/seat or bars lol

Yes the front pipe is a slip on and the rear pipe is just.......well a rear pipe. it maybe slightly bigger than the stock pipe that it slips onto but you could always get a strip of metal to fill the gaps. But i cant see any problems.

As for the other things to buy, id say handle bars, but first off do you know what look your wanting? fat beach bum cruiser, nasty twatish bobber or chrome'd out bling bling chopper?

Closer to the bobber style me thinks, I like it clean and minimal, really dont like all the chrome lol

well before you buy the seat best to sort out a rear mud gaurd so that the seat and mud guard flow together, dont use seat springs as the mono shock and seat springs gice you a very strange feeling when cornering and hitting bumps. I'd personally go for a new set of handle bars and indicators.

Cool thanks will look into it, only issue with the seat is I might need to make one of those ghost seats so when the wife or someone whats a ride out then they can jump on...

like the look of the bolt but too pricey for me right now!

From what I have seen there was a change to exhausts around 2004-2006. Catalytic converters were added to the mufflers and a slight change in the header pipe length also. Don't know how valid this is or if it would cause a problem.

When I got the V&H cruisers for my 2002 650 custom, I may have been miss-sold the wrong year, because the holes would not match on the rear mount provided with the pipes where both are bolted on to the bike at the back. It was an easy fix though as I just had to drill a couple of 8mm holes next to the existing ones. I'm sure the short shots are even simpler.

Thanks guys I'll bear that in mind. I have found someone who could make one for me who does them for Harley's so could potentially have anything (obviously for a price!)

The short shots won't need to be bolted at the rear as they are....... Well um.... Short ha ha. Won't even reach to the rear mounting points

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen them cheap (£200 cheap!!) on

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.uk/6983/i/vance---hines-shortshots-staggered-exhaust-system

so very tempted to buy them now, I think the wife my kill me though! haha

• 2 months later...

I've seen them cheap (£200 cheap!!) on

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.uk/6983/i/vance---hines-shortshots-staggered-exhaust-system

so very tempted to buy them now, I think the wife my kill me though! haha

I have been looking on this site at the V&H cruizers, £225 + £30 postage, but as they ship from the states you have tax and import duties on top of that, did a calculation on customs web site, £63 total charges, so full price to pay just shy of £320, Only a saving of £30 on UK price

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online