Wiring Products

jimmy
This post is 3740 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Not a Yamaha, but does anyone have any personal recommendations of wiring providers. I will soon be making a new harness for my Can Am Bombardier and will be buying all necessary stuff shortly. I have done a t'internet search and a multitude of providers show up. Before I just jump in and buy, I'm looking any recommendations.

My plan is to strip down the auld harness and pin it to a board as reference to lengths required for the new one, but any tips and hints (crimping or soldering) would also be greatly received.

Drewps*, apologies if this needs to go in the workshop thread, if so can you do the necessary

Edit....Meant to write DDT

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Only thing I would say Jimmy is that the spade connectors are better than the old bullet ones as they don't get quite the same amount of moisture on them due to the plastic surround, they still get wet of course but are easier to fit (my opinion) and make a better connection. Just my thoughts on it you understand. On the XJ I junked all of the old bullet connectors when I rebuilt the loom and have not had a problem for nearly 3 years. Not what you were asking I know but it all helps (or not!!!).

Reading online Newbies guides to crimping and soldering is probably a good start.

For most minor bits, I'd normally nip up Maplins or Halfords, really. Can be pricey if you need more than just a couple of bits though and the staff seem either the types who know everything and are full of helpful advice... or the morons that know feck all and will tell you they don't stock batteries, while standing right by the BIG battery display!!

For connectors that need to be easy to disconnect (e.g. a headlamp connection) use AMP connectors. They are cheap and two-a-penny on ebay, with high ingress protection.

amp-male.png

I use Vehicle wiring products for when i rewired the tracker.

connectors, sheaths etc. i prefer the 3.5mm bullets as they seal better if you put the covers the right way round. Spades are too ungainly and take more room.

i use a proper crimper and solder.

done two bikes from scratch and no issues at all

If the Molex blocks are ANYTHING like the 4-pin Molex connectors for computers, you'd be more productive trying brain surgery after chopping both your thumbs off!!

Stupid pieces of shite, these Molex things... I'm currently looking at replacing all my PC connectors with the 'Motorcycle Electrical Mini - Connectors' type things you see on that same page!!

They are Molex too, just round or flat pins. The important part is to get the correct crimp. Don't use one designed for those crappy blue/red/yellow coloured ones.

If the Molex blocks are ANYTHING like the 4-pin Molex connectors for computers, you'd be more productive trying brain surgery after chopping both your thumbs off!!

Stupid pieces of shite, these Molex things... I'm currently looking at replacing all my PC connectors with the 'Motorcycle Electrical Mini - Connectors' type things you see on that same page!!

I tried the mini connectors, never used them in the end, the fittings were too small for what I was using

dont use the bloody horrible red and blue things, my mate builds looms , and is the wiring wizard and Murvi motor caravans and he said on no accout use them on any thing that will be exposed to wet, use the japanese type connectors and solder he says , these are the ones to use , some people recommend eastern beaver in the usa to .

http://www.kojaycat.com/ seems to have a good selction of standard japanese bike connectors

http://www.towzatronics.co.uk/ good prices on ebay and bike wiring in notts area

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

Cheers folks

merv, kojaycat is about 5 miles from me, works out his house (I think) but the website is shown him as unavailable at the minute

The wiring wizard is building me a harness for the second RD at the moment too.

some of the connectors are in my van ready to be dropped off to him tomorrow for that ,

• Like 1

Cheers folks

merv, kojaycat is about 5 miles from me, works out his house (I think) but the website is shown him as unavailable at the minute

he's gone for a poo

some of the connectors are in my van ready to be dropped off to him tomorrow for that ,

Cheers Mervin. I am aquring parts for the second (rough) one and the few bits I need for the good one at the moment.