what have I done

Tommy xs
This post is 3873 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had my bike running perfect all ready for my trip at the end of the month but we're never really happy are we, always think there's something else to do. so I decided to fit some roller head bearings, big mistake!

while pressing the lower bearings in place the roller cage came apart, I was being careful to only put pressure on the inner race anyway greased it up put it back together and thought I'd got away with it as it seemed OK but when I reassembled the bike steering is stiff checked the book it say's tighten then back 1/4 turn but to get mine smooth I have to back more than a full turn doesn't feel good at all, anyone got any idea's

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its just stiff but no where near tight at the nut, I've not put it all back together yet, i'll have another look at the weekend

as long as there is no play in it thiongs should be ok . tighten should be only be just over finger tight , do not hammer it up with a wrench , the same applys on cars etc with taper roller wheel bearings , I tighten them, with my fingers, if there is still play i tighten them a fraction with a spanner , then back off a little so there is barely perceptible play

Taper bearings are bulkier than balls and make the top part of the yolk stem sit higher. I fitted some to the TS and it looks wrong when apart with only a small amount of grip for the adjusting nut. It can make you attempt to over tighten to clamp it down more. I am changing the head bearings on the RD and have gone for balls. Some people put the tapers in the bottom only and use the balls in the top. I managed to get a complete set of NOS parts for the RD so I can decide if I want to reuse the bearing cups or replace them too. It is a right pain when something isnt broken but after what should be a quick tinker a problem arises.

as long as there is no play in it thiongs should be ok . tighten should be only be just over finger tight , do not hammer it up with a wrench , the same applys on cars etc with taper roller wheel bearings , I tighten them, with my fingers, if there is still play i tighten them a fraction with a spanner , then back off a little so there is barely perceptible play

what Merv says :)

Just make sure you wear a day glow pink t shirt so you can flag some one down to save you. :eusa_whistle::tounge:

I was changing the s/h bearings on my auld speedtwin. Tried to source taper bearings but they start from '61 onwards, mine is '59. Anyway ordered new cup, cones and bearings. The fugging things are only 1/8" (about 3mm for the pups) so it was a bit of a bugger trying to fit them properly with some grease.

the reason I changed them is because it failed the MOT the year before last because of to much play so I just repacked them with grease & tightened them up and it past however last year it was an advisory although it passed so I didn't wan't just keep having to adjust them, wish I'd left them till after my trip now as I'll be worried about them, i'll put it back together soon as and get out on a few runs before the end of the month.

Cheers everyone for the advice has made me feel a bit better :eusa_shifty:

When riding in slow traffic, it will be a nightmare, :eusa_doh: you are constantly correcting steering, found this out as H2 has a friction steering damper. and was too tight,

all sorted put it back together fri night, went out over the weekend all seems OK, rechecked steering for play and tightness all good

think I just over reacted, thought I'd fucked it up just before my trip.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online