Car head lights on back roads

Dt rich
This post is 3740 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all just a quick topic I live on a B road with no street lighting and have to ride in the dark but get tottally blinded by car lights and can not see more than 1 white line in front of me quite scary tbh any one got any tips to help me see te road in the dark as I don't want to end up in a bush or even worse through some ones window screen

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I know what you mean I am in the same situation.

Couple of soloutions.

When headlights approach look at the kerb and use that as a marker to stop your eyes being drawn.(we naturally deep down feel safe and want the light your fighting this caveman instinct).

If your helmet has a built in drop down tinted visor use it so its just above your normal vision line then look through it for headlights.

Also keep your visor spotlessly clean with no smears etc inside too and replace it regularily as use will cause very fine scratches that make it much worse.

Worst case with the weather atm. Lift you visor. Dont look at the lights though.

I smashed a Gp100 on a country road because of some idiot on full beam. I dont think modern headlights need to be so bright either. Dipped beam is to be seen, not to see with.

I live down the exact same kind of road... partially. The rest is proper country road, barely tarmacked and with no markings, lights or anything. Rain on the visor makes it even worse!

I know my local roads well - every bend, every puddle, every pothole and can often just 'aim' off around the oncoming lights, though I've no clue how car drivers manage it.

Going slower helps the ol' dicky ticker, as you're more likely to be able to stop in whatever distance you can see to be clear... assuming some prick hasn't parked on the roadside opposite a junction, or anything.

Some people advocate looking toward the kerb, but that fails when there's only a dark ditch or something. If the lights are THAT bright, you can try flashing them and see if they've: a) got their high beams on and B) if they're switched on enough to understand and turn then down.

Chances are, they're just badly adjusted and/or the driver doesn't give a fuck, so call them a cunt as you go by.

If you have cars following, you can always pull in and let them pass, before following their lights as a guide. There is NEVER any shame in riding safely.

Having a brighter headlight and additional lights fitted that illuminate the sides of the road can help, as you'll often see more by which to judge your position. Not sure how the little DT would cope with extra lights, though.

I also hear tell that praying to your choice of deity is of use to certain people... :lol:

I've a 50 mile trip each way to work and whilst the majority about 35 miles are on well lit road the other 15 is on unlit B roads. Ive been travelling the road for 25 years so I would say I know it pretty well, unfortunately so does just about everyone else. I had noticed the blinding effect over the last 2 or 3 winters and partly put it down to me becoming an auld cnut, 50 this year, and partly badly adjusted lamps and/or lamps being too bright.

I do what cynic suggests and look off towards the edge of the road, still twitchy bum syndrome sometimes tho'

Brighter headlight, or you need glasses. I can see just fine on back country roads here with no lighting when other cars are coming at me. I tend to look down to the right shoulder as well - follow the painted line - it helps to not kill your night vision, if you'll looking right at the oncoming headlights, you're going to be blinded for a good second or two after they pass.

Yeah, but you're in Canada, Feliks.

From what I understand, your fellow countrymen have a far less cavalier attitude toward their vehicles' roadworthiness?

Here, many are still trying to understand what the '710' cap is for and why they should have to service a car - Seriously, a good mechanic friend of mine currently has three vehicles in his workshop for major works, because the owners have *never* had them serviced... ever. One of them has done over 40,000 miles!!

Also, some people's eyes are just more sensitive to bright lights and glare, mine included. Not an evening goes by when I don't bitch about how bright some dickhead's headlights are. Usually it's 4x4s, vans and Beemer/Audi types.

Brighter headlight, or you need glasses.

:yeah: As he says, get an eye test,, i"v followed drivers that brake as soon as an other car approaches , its dangerous .

i need glasses at night, what a difference they make too.

OK, so what about me? I *do* have glasses and my vision is spot on with them, yet I still get blinded by some cars!

I also ain't that old, either... ;)

Thanks for all your comments I don't need glasses I went to specsavers :) I do try and look down to the white line but it just don't help I have a mx style helmet with a big peak but that still don't help and also there is no kerb ditches all the way along and there about a 7ft drop I do live in a place where every one don't no how to drive cars you may of heard about the sheppey crossing pile up I don't live to far from there. I'm gna order a lightly tinted screen for my goggles see if that helps will keep you posted

close one eye, then open it when the car passes.

may help, although if peeps saw you, you would be a bit of a winker

What about tinting a strip at the top of a clear visor? Is that legal? Then if bright headlights are coming...you can just lean your head down a bit so the light is in the tinted part....

• Like 1

Yesterday morning was a nightmare - it was foggy so everyone had fogs on, inside was misting even with the visor cracked open and the fog was freezing up on the outside so I had to keep stopping to scrape it off! TBH I was just glad to be back on the bike and slowed down when I couldn't see!

Another couple of months and we'll all be moaning about sweating lol

You should try round here AEF - It was so foggy that NO-ONE had fogs on apart from bikes and most cars that were white or grey didn't even bother with dipped lights!

MY Dragon's Den moment - Auto-targetting system that shoots out oncoming headlights that are more than 5 lumens brighter than the sensible limit?

Yes Theo, I am spending your children's inheritance on weaponry... hey, it worked out OK for Tony Stark!

Dragons den moment. A self tinting visor using a small battery and polarisation?

Yeah - a LCD visor with a light sensor. With an led spotlight on to blind the mf who doesn't know how to dip his lights!

Put a bright led torch on my handle bars very bright ad shined it at every one who don't no how to use lights this morning helped a lot so many people were switching high beam off never noticed they was on full beam before lighter mornings are on the way can not wait