Got the second RD400

DirtyDT
This post is 3740 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone following the thread "to squires or not to squires" will have read that i had potentially brought another RD. I got home on saturday afternoon and just looked on fleabay for a couple of minutes and saw a RD for sale with a few minutes left to go on the auction. I had a punt and won it. I tried to make contact with the seller but texts were not answered and when I called he was always busy, promised to call me back, but didnt. I was starting to get a bad feeling! The bike was an impulse buy, I coudnt check the history as the number plate was covered and there was not a lot of information in the description.

I got a call from the seller at about half six last night saying he could drop the bike off that evening but wouldnt expect to get to mine until about 11pm. This was ok for me but i had to get the cash together so i emptied the local ATM's. I got the reg number off the guy and did a vehicle check, apart from a couple of colour changes, it is clear. The guy wheels and deals a little with bikes but this is his RD and he has owned it for about 4 years. The guy turns up with the bike a little after 11. I check the paperwork and it is all fine. The engine has been rebuilt and not run in. We get the bike off the van and he decides to start it (about 11:30), it starts and runs lovely after a couple of kicks. The paperwork and information on the interweb agree that the bike was taxed until the end of September last year and it was MOT'ed until the beginning of October last year. He said he gets no time to ride it and just SORN'ed it when the MOT ran out. The interweb confirms this too. There are 2 keys and both fit all locks. Completely standard trim except for braided hoses.

I would describe the bike as unmolested with general wear but i havent seen it in the light yet! Unless when I check it over I find somthing nasty, I think I got a bargain. So 2 RD400's in the stable now. I will throw some photos up later.

Very, very happy at the moment.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Silver and then red I think or the other way around. It is now yellow as yellow ones are the fastest :eusa_whistle:

It sounded awesome last night so as well as some photos I will try and throw a video up later when I am not at work. It is on a T plate and is the 400D model the same as my other one. Less than 17k miles showing but who knows if that is accurate or not!

It does not have matching frame and engine numbers but I am not fussed about that.

I think yellow is the best colour personally, I'd love one.

Just one of those easily recognisable paintjobs

Yellow is my favourite too. Both of mine are yellow. The latest one has gold alloys on it.

Pictures coming this evening.

Maybe the clock came with the motor? it's doubtful a bike has gone through 2 colour change's and a replaced motor in 17k

but like you say you just don't know, you just have to go on what you have but sounds like a real bargain

oh yes said this when you got your last one they always look better in yellow

True about the mileage Tommy. My TS250 has about 500 miles showing because I put a NOS speedo on it during the rebuild. The true mileage on it is about 17k based on old MOT's. That is a T plate too.

The only thing you should remember about buying a vehicle is "go and see it" oop's "NEVER EVER buy in the dark or when it's raining" oop's and always make sure it has the same numbers on the bike as on the paperwork (YES!!!)

Well 1 out of 3 ain't bad, is it?

As long as your happy with it and it's not a complete dog that's all that matters, enjoy.

Sound advice but it was worth the money just for parts to rebuild the first one so I took a risk. I think it paid off. It is far from a dog. I was just going to check it for safety and leave it the way it is, maybe just add some mirrors. Definitely no tarting with it.

I forgot to bring the reg number with me today so I can get it insured. I contacted Lee from Bikesure about adding it to my TS classic policy and the cost, fully comp, with recovery, was about £62. If you read this Lee I will contact you tomorrow with the number and get it on with the TS.

So does this mean that resto 250/400 thingamy summat is now a parts bike for this one.

So does this mean that resto 250/400 thingamy summat is now a parts bike for this one.

No!! The bitsa needs a good going over, a 400D engine, the proper carbs, an airbox and and a set of pipes. This is a restore.

400D engine brought and in the other room

Correct carbs brought and in the shed

Airbox should be picked up early Feb

Pipes - Not done anything about these yet

It's going back on the road as a proper 400. I will probably sell the RD250 engine and the 400E carbs off it but no plans to do that at the moment.

good News Numan , enjoy !!!

Cheers Mervin. More stupid questions coming from me on the ACRD forum and a possible trip to the annual rally again this year. This time on a RD.

Pics%252BOr%252BIt%252BDidn%252527t%252B

Pics and a video

RDsecond3.jpg

RDsecond4.jpg

RDsecond5.jpg

RDsecond6.jpg

RDsecond7.jpg

A short video is here. It was hard to start the bike from the right with one hand on the camera but it does start. Excuse the garden. I am doing some groundwork in it.

VIDEO LINKY