Chain break, now engine won't start

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3748 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know if there is a deadman switch on the SR125? I had my chain snap this afternoon and the engine stalled. Is this supposed to happen or could there be damage to the engine? After just getting it home on a trailer I have just tried starting her up, the engine turns ok, but is not igniting. Picking up new chain and sprocket tomorrow.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does anyone know if there is a deadman switch on the SR125? I had my chain snap this afternoon and the engine stalled. Is this supposed to happen or could there be damage to the engine? After just getting it home on a trailer I have just tried starting her up, the engine turns ok, but is not igniting. Picking up new chain and sprocket tomorrow.

Is it sparking?

Haven't got as far as checking that - only just got her home. It sounds like and smells like fuel is going through and giving a muffled sound as though there is no spark. Sounds like the time I tried putting her in gear with the side stand down.

Got 2 young children to get to bed now so will probably have to wait til tomorrow to check the spark properly. TBH I was kind of hoping someone was going to say that the engine shouldn't start!

Check if the Netural switch wire has come off Blue wire. that will stop it from running if its grounded

Andrew

When the chain snapped did it lock on the rear wheel, roll off the bike or did it jam on the gearbox sprocket.

Cheers guys! Given me a few things to check there!

The side stand did get caught as we lifted it out the trailer. I think the chain got caught on the front sprocket so when I get the cover off I can check there. Luckily the rear wheel didnt get jammed so all good there cheers Numan!

Paul - ironically the chain had started to get dry and I was heading up the A11 to get more oil to give it a damn good soak and clean. So yes, definitely down to neglect :( Sermon accepted!

Fingers crossed I'll find a broken wire tomorrow!

I didn't wanb to be the first to rag you out about not keeping your chain right,but com on man it's your life VS a few drops of oil,,,,,,

I /we/all now have to question what you have learned here,,,,,,,, just be thankfull your all right. Please don't let it happen again. things could have turned out a whole lot worse.

You're absolutely right. It had stood unused for a couple of weeks, so I gave it a good squirt of oil and figured it'd be ok for the 10 mile run to town and back! Lesson learnt. I'll not be making the same mistake again.

Glad your ok dude and you've learnt the lesson, i done the same with regards to neglecting my bike of oil, turned out to be very pricey ha ha.

with a bit of luck it should just be the side stand switch as the gods above have said.

Take it easy and remember to lube up your dry bits ;)

Lol! Will do. Annoying thing is I saw it needed attention and had planned to remove, clean and soak it in oil which is why I was going into town! Like you say, if the Gods are kind there'll be no major damage!

You really need to sit on the naughty step for this Andrew. The problem is, most of us have done it.

You need to adopt the philosophy of; if you grease it short term, you wont feel the pain long term.

Lol! Will do. Annoying thing is I saw it needed attention and had planned to remove, clean and soak it in oil which is why I was going into town! Like you say, if the Gods are kind there'll be no major damage!

You cant con the conners. Any chain that snaps has long forgotten what lube is. Tut tut.... Just think a bad chain can cost you 10 to 15 percent of your hp if its bad. Thats a lot to lose on an sr.

Glad your ok

Cheers mate! It had2 weeks without oil (not used) going rusty. Was also at full stretch. I'm picking up new chain and sprockets tomorrow and fitting Wednesday after leaving in soak over night! Also need a new chain guard but rather that than my leg!

Glad you're alright, I'm going to use your experience as a lesson for myself... I just got a new chain from a guy, but who knows how long it's been sitting... I'm gonna go soak that bitch in oil!

So what can I use, used motor oil? New cheap motor oil? Or should I get the yamaha wax shit?

I was just going to soak it in cheaper motor oil, fit it and then spray with the thicker chain oil..... Every hour!! I've gone for the more expensive DID chain so I'll not be neglecting it again. Apparently they are a superior chain so hopefully won't stretch as quick.

• Like 1

A chiain needs more than a soak.

What type of chain is it? Plain, o ring. The o rings seal the chain, dont forget they will seal oil OUT too. You can soak a plain chain but you need the right stuff for o ring chains.

You need to clean it too, again the wrong stuff can damage the seals in a chain.