ya6 125

maxim trike
This post is 3750 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

yea i havent a clue what reg plate is or anything, engine number does begin with A7 but none of the rest, il try get some pics up for ya soon man, the barrel is still not coming free from piston it is well caught on it, if iremove the right hand casing will it be a big mess of stuff falling out or will it be not too bad?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

.... if iremove the right hand casing will it be a big mess of stuff falling out or will it be not too bad?

Watch out for oil. The front of the right hand side contains the carb and the oil pump, the back just everything held in place.

ok so i took off this cover, and was able to free up the engine with a ratchet and spcket, it is turning freely by hand now, next thing is, what is the most basic thing i can get now for to get it sparking with kicking it maybe?

It needs a decent battery to run. Attach a battery to it and see if you can get a spark at the plug. They have electric start too with the button on the right hand switchgear.

I am going to need more than this. Any pictures?

There are 3 main parts, and a few others, to get the bike running electrically.

Regulator This fits near the battery and is accessed by removing the left hand side panel.

Armature This sits of the end of the left hand side crank

Stator (and a governor) This sits over the armature and contains the points and condenser.

Coil - This sits inside the spine of the main frame near the battery and is held on by 2 bolts at the top front of the battery compartment.

Ignition - On the left front of the light binnacle.

Harness/loom - joins them all together

Battery - It needs a decent one to start it.

I have ignored lights, switches etc for now.

Whats missing from yours?

the armature is still on it, coil is there also, i am missing the stator and regulator though, i have the ignition and wiring loom, just unsure how good it is, i am missing headlight switches and stuff but im not too worried about that at the moment either

You should be able to get most of it on ebay either .ie, .co.uk or .com

There are pattern switches from Yuniparts available. I think they do both sides but here is a link to the right hand side LINKY I haven't tried them so that was not a recommendation but just to show you an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

i recently got a bike in pieces- from the research i believe its a yamaha YA6.

my guess is based on the following

rotary valve fuel feed.

2 stroke.

toaster tank.

I'm trying to rebuild the bottom end, and I'm trying to remove my armature and i can't seem to figure out anyway to remove it. I've tried everything in my arsenal- nothing works-- @dirtydt, i saw another thread where you had the same problem from back in july of last year. have you had any luck removing the armature?

please advise!

looking forward to someday driving this bike.

You may want to say hello in the new members section. People tend to be more supportive when that happens.

If you post the first part of your VIN number we can probably tell you if it is a YA6.

The armature is still solidly on the crank at the moment. I have tried heat, freeze, penetrating fluid, had a remover made, blind puller, brute strength and an angle grinder but it is still hanging on. I have put it to one side at the moment but I have 3 things still to try at the moment. These are; tapping out the centre armature bore and trying a larger remover; welding a nut onto the armature bore and tightening up a bolt the same way as a puller would work and ; cutting 3 grooves into the side of the armature, fitting a 3 legged hub puller which will be clamped to keep the legs in the grooves and then tightening this up.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hey @dirtyDT my apologizes for not making the introduction on the new forum- i was just so excited to talk to other YA6 owners.

Just curious, what is your goal with removing the armature?

for me- i would really like to ditch the original ignition, and try a more modern CDI type of ignition.

When i get my engine back from my buddies shop ill post the VIN, i can't seem to detect one on the frame.

Thanks for the reply! yamaha on!

Standard. The bike runs a very advanced system for it's age. Very dated now though. In my opinion they are too good to mess with. 1965 with 12v electrics, autolube and an electric starter!!

well stated- my plans are still up in the air. However, i feel like if i could go with another ignition which was much lighter, like a button mag ignition. the potential for low end power would be insane.

As far as autolube, i have no problem with premix--- but electric start sounds pretty darn cool for such an old bike.

However, still up in the air on exact direction for the bike.

is there anywhere i can see progress of your bike, pics etc..?

Cheers!

.....is there anywhere i can see progress of your bike, pics etc..?

Cheers!

It is is a USA import and still work in progress. I have started a gallery but I need to add to it. The gallery can be found here LINKY

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online