ya6 125

maxim trike
This post is 3751 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive been given one of these by a mate, dont know anything about its history at the moment, but she is in a fairly sorry state, i was jus6t gointo sell it on in parts, but now i am kind of tempted to try get her running at least, and looking someway decent, anybody anyfirst hand experience with these?would know where to point me in the right direction, from what i can see, wiring loom is there, im missing glass part of headlight, and missing what im assuming is some kind of reg/rec and pick up fpr elec start?? might not be naming thse correctly now so im open to correction thanks guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Loads of stuff on fleabay uk and com. Partzilla and other stockists. NOS main looks, stators plus most of everything else on there. Simple electronics from the main rec plate to the genny. All colour coded and screw fixings. The model is sometimes called the Santa Barbara and the model code is 136 I think.

• 3 weeks later...

cheers for that lad, any chance you know where i could download a manual free at all? or at least haveany tips on trying to free up the engine? its seized but dont know exactly what from, its been lying up for at least about ten years......

cheers for that lad, any chance you know where i could download a manual free at all? or at least haveany tips on trying to free up the engine? its seized but dont know exactly what from, its been lying up for at least about ten years......

"Lad"? You obviously have never met me. No manual download links are allowed on the forum due to copyright laws. The YA 6 manual isn't great, they do come up on fleabay.

If the engine is seized it will probably be in one of 2 places; the piston or the big end. Whip the cylinder head off and see what it looks like. If it looks seized at the piston then either plusgas or diesel will get it free. Once the head is off you can just pull the barrel off and see what the big end looks like. If it is the big end then the same applies but it is a complete engine strip. You can pick up cranks and NOS barrels from fleabay.

My engine is part stripped at the moment and I am struggling to get the stator coils off the crank.

My project thread on it is here

It hasn't moved on much further at the moment.

LAD, wahhaha ha ha...

I laughed so hard I considerd a 4stroke.

• Like 2

"Lad"? You obviously have never met me. No manual download links are allowed on the forum due to copyright laws. The YA 6 manual isn't great, they do come up on fleabay.

If the engine is seized it will probably be in one of 2 places; the piston or the big end. Whip the cylinder head off and see what it looks like. If it looks seized at the piston then either plusgas or diesel will get it free. Once the head is off you can just pull the barrel off and see what the big end looks like. If it is the big end then the same applies but it is a complete engine strip. You can pick up cranks and NOS barrels from fleabay.

My engine is part stripped at the moment and I am struggling to get the stator coils off the crank.

My project thread on it is here

It hasn't moved on much further at the moment.

sorry lad is just a term we use is all, cheers for that advice anyway, i have had the head off but the rest of the barrell wouldnt come free, so im guessing this is where it is caught up, hopefully that is just the worst of it, itsa paon with all the bolts in engine being philips head, and there is nowhere to get a socket on to try turn over engine by hand at the minute......

No offence taken by me, it just made me laugh.

Now you have the head off it sounds like yhe rings are seized. The head and barrel are held on with the same 4 rods so put the bike in 3rd gear and push it a small amount to see if the barrel lifts off the engine cases. Not too much. If it does then it is a top end only issue and plusgas and or a little heat from a paint stripping gun should free it up. Heat straight down the bore onto the piston and spray around the rings, again, straight down the piston. Be careful that you dont set anything alight.

It is possible. Does the chain move freely? With the bike on the centerstand, can you jiggle the rear wheel while pushing the gear lever to engage a gear?

It is possible. Does the chain move freely? With the bike on the centerstand, can you jiggle the rear wheel while pushing the gear lever to engage a gear?

ihave the engine out at the moment, but the sprocket moves, free enough but there is a small bit of pressure on it,and tried this already and still not engaging.......

You could take the bars off the bike, clamp them in a vice and connect that to the engine again. You need leverage and the clutch plates could be seized too. At the moment you need to get the barrel off so if it is too much grief to mess with the clutch then I would concentrate on getting the barrel off by the heat and plusgas method. This will allow you to jiggle piston as you try and engage gear. Whatever you do, I think that the engine will need to be split to change the bearings and seals if you intend to ride it.

They are never going to be worth the money spent on them. This doesn't stop me but will stop a lot of other people working on them. To strip and rebuild the engine you are looking at around £300 in parts (in the UK), that would include bearings, seals, gaskets, clutch, rebore and piston kit, crank rebuild and oil. Add £150 for wheel, steering and swingarm bearings, seals etc. £100 for tyres and tubes. £60 for chain and sprockets. £20 for a battery. £50 for new cables. That is £680 however you have a bike that will still look cosmetically challenged and that assumes that nothing else needs to be replaced. Even the basic, rub down and spray will come in at £100 but if need/want to have the tank rechromed it would be closer to £500. If you need to have the wheels rechromed or stainless rebuild, that is another £400. If the seat is knackered you can buy pattern ones for under £150 delivered and should just leave the exhaust. Mine is basically shot and I haven't found a decent one anywhere on the world - believe me I have been looking. When I get to that stage I have almost decided to get a stainless one hand built, probably another £400.

These are my estimates based on my bike, yours may be in a lot better condition. To do mine up to how I want it will be around £2500, it will never be worth anywhere near that in my lifetime or possibly ever. Bikes are my hobby, not my business.

All that said, you could get a few basics done for a few hundred pounds and run it how it is. It may be the time to throw a few pictures up of it.

way to scare me man!! i dont see myself putting that much into it at all, or even close to it! it was more just curiosity as to whether i could get her going again is all, would parts make much money at all, depending on condition of course? frame loom etc

Please don't let me put you off, What I was trying to say is that old bikes can be money pits and being a 2 stroke you really need to have the engine apart. There are lots of parts on fleabay so I doubt that parts would sell very easily but you should be able to sell it on as a project should you think that a different bike would be easier to work on. The only part that seems to be in short supply are the exhausts in very good condition.

If you got given it then you have lost nothing. Parts are cheap to pick up and, if fixed, it will make an excellent run about. I have never seen another one in the UK and I am sure they are just as scarce in Eire.

Please don't let me put you off, What I was trying to say is that old bikes can be money pits and being a 2 stroke you really need to have the engine apart. There are lots of parts on fleabay so I doubt that parts would sell very easily but you should be able to sell it on as a project should you think that a different bike would be easier to work on. The only part that seems to be in short supply are the exhausts in very good condition.

If you got given it then you have lost nothing. Parts are cheap to pick up and, if fixed, it will make an excellent run about. I have never seen another one in the UK and I am sure they are just as scarce in Eire.

yes, as you say it stands me nothing at the moment except my time, i have tried a bit of wd-40 down the barrel its all i have, but have no source to heat it, i have taken the pins out of the barrel as well and it still wont budge, so it definitely is caught up at the piston, i would like to try find something else to work on altogether alright, but will be hard to flog this as is, with the engine siezed and a lot of gasket sealer, on crank cases so someone has opened her up before, plus i have no log book at present, is there anything i can find out about bikes age or anything from just engine number?

In the uk we can find out if the bike has ever been registered here but your's will be different. I will put up some details on frame and engine numbers when I get home from work.

I would guess yours is an import, the same as mine. Again, I am not sure what you would need to do to register it in Ireland, here it is a bit of a pain, especially if you dont have any import papers to show import duty and VAT has been paid. It may be best to find out what your process is to register it before you do much more with it.

1964 - YA6
Engine A7-102863--210890
Frame Y21-102883--210890

Bikes would have been registered between 1964 to 1966 in the main.

1968 - YA6M
Engine A7-173001--245540
Frame A7-173001--245540