Betty's Exhausts

Noise
This post is 3832 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

'ey up guys,

well its coming close to me sorting out me exhausts for the bobber and im in two minds (as usual) and was wanting your thoughts. im re doing them and as you know im all about old skool useing bits thrown out or making do with what ive got.

Now here is what im thinking, shall i go with the standard looking short shotgun look? or short pipes with slash cuts? or short with 90 degree kick outs?

Now i aint got the cash to splash out on fancy pipes that Joe Blogg can buy so sadly a set of one off's is out the question but what ive got in the man cave can make me one of these three options.

What would you have?

Much love as normal

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Never liked the 90 look staggered shot gun,or slash cut and cut the ends to look like flames.

What ever you do make sure they are long enough or you will loose scavenging effect( the sonic pluse in the exhaust that remove the gasses from the cylinder) and loose HP

A good rule of thumb to go by is to paint the pipe and where it stops burning the paint off cut 10-12 inches after.Depending on the length of the baffel you intend to use.

Speaking of baffels what are your plans for them?

I have no baffles :eusa_whistle:

The baffles i had in them crumbled away and i like them more with out them to the truthful.

at the moment (and stock) the front pipe is so much longer than the rear pipe so its taking longer for the front to get rid of the gasses, so my plan is to have then both the same length its just what tips to have. Im leaning to wards the slash cuts if im honest

BAFFELS ? WE DON"T NEED NO STINKING BAFFELS LOL.

I don't know about there and how the copers are but here if they can stick thier club in more than 12 in your getting a ticket for running open pipes so to get around it I weld in a washer with so many holes in it it might as well be open,or a length of pipe suported by washers and drilled full of holes.

Slash cut pipes actualy help with scavenging,like the way a planes wing works or a flute,the air pasing by creates a low pressure at the tip of the exhaust helping to pull the spent gasses out.

Slash cut it is then ha ha.

There is laws over here, but mostly goes down to what mood plod is in and if your acting like a cock then your getting a ticket. But I have been wrong lol. Touch wood I've not been pulled yet, had one officer tell me not to start her up till he had left the car park but that's bout it.

Hmmm, for equal length pipes, I think a good ol' straight cut is in order. I mean I don't think a slash cut will look hideous or anything, it'll look ok, I just prefer the straight cut on a staggered equal length pipe configuration. Not sure about our Canadian friend's assertion that the slash cut helps to collect spent gasses, never heard that before myself, but it could be true.

And as for laws, well, you can always buy a pair of baffles and stick them in, if you have to, easy enough to do.

Do you think your budget can stretch to a nice ceramic coat finish (i.e. matt black)? Or perhaps some hi-temp black spray paint and then exhaust wrap?

I have already got some Hammerite BBQ spray paint that i bought at the start of this years build for the exhoust Tout so thats covered, even if i didn't have that paint already my budget is ok for that sort of thing, i just cant spend hundereds of quid on things now. :(

Well what i can do is cut them down so that they are both the same length and keep them as straight cut and see what they look like, and if they look crap then its no hard ship cutting them into slashies.

Yer i may have to buy a set of Baffles at one point in life, but ill see how long i can go with out them ha ha

I have already got some Hammerite BBQ spray paint that i bought at the start of this years build for the exhoust Tout so thats covered, even if i didn't have that paint already my budget is ok for that sort of thing, i just cant spend hundereds of quid on things now. :(

Well what i can do is cut them down so that they are both the same length and keep them as straight cut and see what they look like, and if they look crap then its no hard ship cutting them into slashies.

Yer i may have to buy a set of Baffles at one point in life, but ill see how long i can go with out them ha ha

Word of advice on the BBQ paint, exhausts get a LOT hotter than a BBQ, they're easily the hottest component on the whole bike so it may not be rated for those kind of temps. You're better off spending a few quid on proper VHT paint and saving yourself a future job. Also, speaking from experience I definitely would suggest giving it a coat of VHT clear once you've done your colour layer. Gives you a lot of extra protection against stone chips and whatnot.

As for your pipes, have you considered a 2-into-1? Or maybe the Biltwell exhaust builder kit? That's if you have access to a TIG welder of course...

That BBQ paint is rated up to 800 degrees and only cost me £8 so for that price im more that happy to give it a bash ha ha, i wont be giving it a coat of VHT gloss as im going for a dirty mean look and too much glossy bits will wreck the look.

2-into-1 pipes are not my cuppa tea really so they are a no no, and ive only got a MIG welder so the exhaust kit will be another no sadly, thanks for the tips tho ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well fair play then mate, 800 is bloody good heat tolerance! Oh well, now you can paint your exhausts AND your nuclear reactor.

Best of luck with the pipes though. Do you have an overall design in mind for your project? I know last time I looked in on it you were going for a more traditional, timeless look.

I know I don't need to tell you Noise but with most (all??) exhaust paint, it is about getting that curing right. I get a heat gun on mine when it is touch dry to cure it.

Best of luck with the pipes though. Do you have an overall design in mind for your project? I know last time I looked in on it you were going for a more traditional, timeless look.

Yer I'm going for the old skool look (well try to any way) ha ha. Just still can't make my mind up on the tips.

Yer I am buying the wife a new hair dryer for Christmas, not that she needs a new one but just so she can Stop bitching when I knick hers to warm up bits for paint and as I'm not aloud to use the oven (apparently it's for cooking) her hair dryer is the only way.

Might just get them powder coated if not.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online