XT500 Idling adjustment

mcferreira100
This post is 3885 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

MAC" is there not a window on the timming cover to make starting easier ? I remember reading something about alinging the red dot.possibly it has been painted over.

Thoes bikes can break your foot if they kick back,my wr250 is bad enough.

I brussd my foot realy good wearing runners just to load the bike on the trailer oneday,It took a bit to get the hang of starting it when Ifirst got it,now 1st kick.

That plug has been in since the PO painted the bike,so Iwould guess maintence was a low priorety.

Blackhat ttb's bikes could make a callender all on thier own

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had a friend in the eighties who was kicked right off his XT (he was a small guy). There is the kick indicator window on the valve cover to make sure you not kicking on the power stroke. They also say push down until you feel compression, then decompress down slightly, take it back up and kick. After reading up on the XT forum I`ve also noted you must kick forcefully ALL the way down and hold there for a second which I think gives the idler gear a chance to disengage. AND STAY AWAY FROM THE THROTTLE. She`s ok when she`s warm but I put a motocross boot on when she`s cold..until I`m comfortable with it. Never kick these bikes half heartedly..put all your weight behind it.

Couple of comments here got me wondering if its not running bit rich. How do I adjust that..different jets..airscrew??

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online