Can somebody help me please ,R6 engine/clutch noise

This post is 3901 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1999 Yamaha R6, Whilst in neutral my motorcycle makes a funny grinding noise on the clutch side, If I pull the clutch in the noise disappears does anybody have any ideas as to what this is as I'm concerned Something is going to break and go bang and yes I am a bit paranoid but the noises there and I really don't like it, so if Anybody has any ideas or the same problem please let me know,thanks.$teve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1999 Yamaha R6, Whilst in neutral my motorcycle makes a funny grinding noise on the clutch side, If I pull the clutch in the noise disappears does anybody have any ideas as to what this is as I'm concerned Something is going to break and go bang and yes I am a bit paranoid but the noises there and I really don't like it, so if Anybody has any ideas or the same problem please let me know,thanks.$teve

Carbs out of balance can cause the clutch to "chatter" which does go away when you pull the clutch in. Does the noise change if you raise the revs slightly?

Failing that best to pop the clutch cover off, remove clutch plates and check if centre basket nut is not loose.

• 2 weeks later...

Has the clutch ever been replaced/ serviced?

soz its been a while,no internet at my place apart from phone...!!!Don't know if clutch has been replaced, only had the bike 4 months and 6 previous owners...!!! bike goes fine apart from very low down revs which i think is caused by after market exhaust(very low sound and loud)bogs down. i think you may be right about the clutch although it performs ok,no slippin or anything else. Its just that grinding noise,but what causes it? thanks $teve

Carbs out of balance can cause the clutch to "chatter" which does go away when you pull the clutch in. Does the noise change if you raise the revs slightly?

Failing that best to pop the clutch cover off, remove clutch plates and check if centre basket nut is not loose.

thanks for reply,can't hear once revs are higher,depends on any other advice as to what i do but i think you might be right about loose nut .what about old springs??? plates??? would they make the grindin noise? thanks again. $teve

Aye steve, i bet its quiet when engine is cold " [ thick oil] its nowt to worry about, it is chatter, and probably a little wear on the boss centre bearing, renew the bearing in winter, also check drum for marks, where plates chatter against it, . smooth marks out with file, as they marks[ grooves] can cause clutch drag,,,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online