one cylinder, four stroke disassembly - YBR 125

kristianybr
This post is 3938 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys!

I'm quite new too screwing and fixing anything in the engine of my bike (this is my first time,so please forgive my stupidity), and I have not yet gotten a complete understanding of how exactly anything works inside of it.

Recently I was out driving in Oslo and my engine died, the bike is a Yamaha YBR 125 '05. I had almost ran out of oul (about 1/4 left) and it may have been a bit warmer then usual. (check out the link for more details)

- (thanks to those who helped me out here)

I got an idea of what might have gone wrong in this thread, but I think I need a bit more help.

I have taken the whole engine and gear unit out of the frame of the bike, but frankly, I'm a bit afraid to break anything more if I continue to screw too much.

Is there anything in particular I need to look after when taking the cylinder and the rest of the enigne apart? Is there any part I you would recommend me to start with?

Hope someone will help me :spin2:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, as others have said,the most likely cause of your starting problem is going to be loss of compression.

If you are lucky,when the engine got too hot it caused the piston rings to stick,although I can't explain the loss of oil in the first place.

My advice would be to invest in a Haynes manual,and remove the head and barrel to check the rings and cylinder bore for scoring.

If you want to remove the head etc,the following will help

Remove the crankshaft end cap and timing cap,(left side of engine,2 caps with slots in)

Remove camchain sprocket cover,(left side at top 2 bolts)

Remove spark plug

Remove valve cover caps

Turn engine anti clockwise using socket on alternator bolt,(visible through crankshaft end cap hole) while looking for timing mark visible through timing cap hole and the camshaft sprocket mark lining up with mark on head,if you have got it right,both valves will be closed and the rockers will have some play in them,

This is top dead centre,let me know if you get this far,and I will tell you what to do next.

Pete