Changing Attitudes

iandouglas
This post is 4041 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is a bit vague but in the last few years and increasingly so I've noticed more of an aggressive attitude from punters/customer if they don't get what they want

OK I'm possibly a special case to some extent because I work in a planning department and cut backs have meant charging for all sorts of stuff that was previously fee

but that aside I can't recall developers, designers, individuals ever being so disagreeable and refusing to take 'no' for an answer, quickly resorting to complaining

do you think things are changing for the worse in this recession type climate or is it just me? even think more stress, frustration and irritability now evident on the road....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

People in general, I think.

I'm not really a people person (as if you didn't already know), but everyone seems to be more and more pushy. Our culture has taught us to be victims of everything and entitled to whatever we want, expecting instant delivery and full refends with additional compensation if everything is not 100% perfect for the entire life of whatever we buy!!

On the flipside, I'm almost the opposite and a nightmare for salesmen. I don't even haggle.

My basic approach - "I want this. How much? HOW much? Forget it. Bye".

I can relate to that. We live in a compensation environment where people can't say what they think. The cost is huge and most of us taxpayers don't realise we are actually footing the bill. Everyone is a victim and wants a cash payout.

the world is full of tosspots, a lot can only read what they want to read, a couple of years ago i was selling a bike trailer on ebay. £150 start price. collection only,had a tossopot offer me £50 and can i deliver it 30 miles away , I said yes £50 for trailer £250 delivery payable up front via paypal before i leave home. it had new tyres and mudguards that cost me £70, so he came back £60 and meet me half way delivery, to which i replied £150 and you fetch it, reply oh i can build one for less than that , my reply get on with building it then , Oh but i need the trailer tomorrow. in the meantime another guy turned up from 50 miles away paid cash and took it away, I sent tosspot a message if he looked out to the main road he could wave to it as it went by

the world is full of tosspots, a lot can only read what they want to read, a couple of years ago i was selling a bike trailer on ebay. £150 start price. collection only,had a tossopot offer me £50 and can i deliver it 30 miles away , I said yes £50 for trailer £250 delivery payable up front via paypal before i leave home. it had new tyres and mudguards that cost me £70, so he came back £60 and meet me half way delivery, to which i replied £150 and you fetch it, reply oh i can build one for less than that , my reply get on with building it then , Oh but i need the trailer tomorrow. in the meantime another guy turned up from 50 miles away paid cash and took it away, I sent tosspot a message if he looked out to the main road he could wave to it as it went by

that was no way to speak to foams :D

That was unfair merv, he probably needed your trailer so he could collect the angle iron to build his own

..........................OK I'm possibly a special case to some extent because I work in a planning department and cut backs have meant charging for all sorts of stuff that was previously fee

but that aside I can't recall developers, designers, individuals ever being so disagreeable and refusing to take 'no' for an answer, quickly resorting to complaining.................................

Ah, so it's you Ian that keeps me up at nights trying to get get everything through BREEAM. I can't keep doing water features, moss roofs and recycled timber.

This is a bit vague but in the last few years and increasingly so I've noticed more of an aggressive attitude from punters/customer if they don't get what they want

OK I'm possibly a special case to some extent because I work in a planning department and cut backs have meant charging for all sorts of stuff that was previously fee

but that aside I can't recall developers, designers, individuals ever being so disagreeable and refusing to take 'no' for an answer, quickly resorting to complaining

do you think things are changing for the worse in this recession type climate or is it just me? even think more stress, frustration and irritability now evident on the road....

Yes, things have generally changed for the worse. The world is now owned and run by huge multi national corporations, beyond government control, stripping the planet of its resources and avoiding paying taxes. The global economy has brought about the collapse of the capitalist system, with the result that governments desperately try to plug the holes with money taken from the pockets of the poor taxpayers to try to keep it afloat. Our politicians are clueless and gutless party political puppets in a popularity game show, with the votes cast for the winner every 5 years

Huge numbers of our own citizens are drip fed shite through the media daily, game shows/chat shows/soaps/chat shows with soap stars/womens issue programmes/celebritythis&that, unable to think for themselves, I want it and I want it now/i'll take yours/ country economy based on Tony f'in Blairs Bingo/gamblin/24 hour boozin culture, then wonder why crime rockets

and as for council planners

I'd better shut up

What I do like about today's consumer society is that if you buy something now, as apposed to thirty years ago, if you've got a problem with the goods or it didn't work you can take it back and they will replace/refund with no questions asked.

Try that thirty years ago. No Chance!

What I do like about today's consumer society is that if you buy something now, as apposed to thirty years ago, if you've got a problem with the goods or it didn't work you can take it back and they will replace/refund with no questions asked.

Try that thirty years ago. No Chance!

Yeah, but no-one seems to keep any stock these days Mike, cos its dead money on the shelf. Wife and i went into a major DIY retailer this week to spend £400+, Id looke dup the prices and availabilty on the web, got to the store, no stock on some, direct delivery from the supplier on others and theyve got no stock either, couldnt get through on the phone to the next nearest store to check their stock, and internet connection not working. Promised to ring back the next day - guess what

Wasted morning

Just as a counterbalance to this thread (although I agree mostly!) I work in the NHS. Cuts are terrible. Targets eclipse people. But despite this trend I genuinely try to listen to my patients and their families - while a voice is screaming in my head about the overdue paperwork - got 3 lovely sets of written 'thank yous' last week. Makes dealing with Johnny public very worth it.

Yeah, but no-one seems to keep any stock these days Mike, cos its dead money on the shelf. Wife and i went into a major DIY retailer this week to spend £400+, Id looke dup the prices and availabilty on the web, got to the store, no stock on some, direct delivery from the supplier on others and theyve got no stock either, couldnt get through on the phone to the next nearest store to check their stock, and internet connection not working. Promised to ring back the next day - guess what

Wasted morning

Totally agree with you there nsd,

But generally if you got something, maybe small, and you take it back they will quite happily give a refund, no questions asked, but try that 20/30 years ago. At best they would give you a credit note so you can spend it in the shop.

Just as a counterbalance to this thread (although I agree mostly!) I work in the NHS. Cuts are terrible. Targets eclipse people. But despite this trend I genuinely try to listen to my patients and their families - while a voice is screaming in my head about the overdue paperwork - got 3 lovely sets of written 'thank yous' last week. Makes dealing with Johnny public very worth it.

You have just come in between two replies.

I think you had better explain yourself Mallory, no offence, but NSD and I were on something totally different, as in consumer rights, maybe I am missing something.

Happy to explain :) some of the posts above were rightly commenting on how society in general is all rights focused with little thought towards responsibilities ... More pushy etc etc. it was this aspect I was relating to. My 'consumer' in work (and trust me, many NHS managers see patients that way) are by contrast very appreciative. I think this makes sense? I can see why my post, as you say, looks a little unrelated between the post from you and NSD.

Totally agree with you there nsd,

But generally if you got something, maybe small, and you take it back they will quite happily give a refund, no questions asked, but try that 20/30 years ago. At best they would give you a credit note so you can spend it in the shop.

Absolutely right there

Many of the comments in this thread are inter-related, cost cutting/targets/stress/intolerance, and its when these are all considered together that I conlude life in the UK has taken a turn for the worse over the last few decades

Importantly, none of these changes just happen by chance, they are as a result of decisions made by big business/politicians who are, by and large, immune from the impacts of their decisions, and unaccountable

having started this thread a few days ago I have just found (friday) that my employer is requiring all staff to do training on dealing with 'difficult people' , it is called coping at the sharp end

reading some of the preliminary blurb I can understand why some 'customers' resort to swearing, the course is about how to deal with that sort of thing and try and defuse a potentially nasty situation

agree with the points made above about wider influences and agree things aren't all bad just saying there is quite a lot of anger and resentment about that didn't seem the case to same extent previously.

the buffoonery associated with the last two governments, that is blair plus cameron are enough to make anybody irritable :spin2:

I do believe that there is more anger and resentment in society than ever before, and sad to say it looks like the generations below the age of (perhaps) 40ish are more guilty than most. Perhaps it is they who have had the roughest deal in modern times, but equally (i believe) it is they(this is a generalism) that display intolerance/impatience/anger/ignorance etc the most. Could be because of changes in school/parental discipline (human rights act here), a feeling of powerlessness, being unable to prevent govt etc taking evermore from thier earnings, probably a hatful of reasons. Lack of responsibilty is also shown up as a failing by that section, everyhting is always someone elses fault

But this appears to be the way that society is moving generally, the great worry is that the offspring of said generation will be no better

One thing I have noticed over the last fifty years as being a storeman all my working life, in the RN, agriculture machinery dep't and now in a manufacturing factory, is that companies do not keep the stock like they used to.

Royal Navy, we used to keep 100% of spares for everything.

Agriculture, between 1973 - 1985 we used to keep 100% of spares for all of the machinery we sold. Between 1985 - 1991 we kept only 50% because we got took over by a consortium. Their reasoning was that there were five depot's in the group if we haven't got it one of the depot's will and we will get the part to you tomorrow, try explaining that to a farmer/contractor who's got to get their field mowed or whatever tonight.

Now in the plastic injection manufacturing we seem to be dictated by the customers. as in "I haven't put an order in for at least a year, I want this tomorrow"

And do you know who who the worst customers are?

Actually, I won't name the country involved because one of our members comes from there.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online