Exhaust Pipe Turned Purple

SomeGuy64
This post is 6743 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its gone as if its heat treated my brand new exhaust that I just put on :( Just payed for my new DEP front pipe.

Will it still be ok? Is it damaged now or what? I havn't seen any others do this :mellow:

mine never went purple are you sure your engine is not running to hot

From what I can see in your photo it just looks like normal heat discolouration, and nothing to worry about. Exhaust pipes have a tendency to turn purple and look as if they've been case hardened. This photo of my XT500 shows three causes of exhaust discolouration. Up near the head we have "bluing" due to heat (I think this is what you have.) At the pipe/muffler join there is carbon staining due to leaking gas, and on the megaphone there are stains where I've melted bits of my boots into the surface!

P1000466.jpg

From what I can see in your photo it just looks like normal heat discolouration, and nothing to worry about. Exhaust pipes have a tendency to turn purple and look as if they've been case hardened. This photo of my XT500 shows three causes of exhaust discolouration. Up near the head we have "bluing" due to heat (I think this is what you have.) At the pipe/muffler join there is carbon staining due to leaking gas, and on the megaphone there are stains where I've melted bits of my boots into the surface!

P1000466.jpg

Yea, it looks just like that glad its ok since I just bought it :P

Well, if it looks like that, just relax, because that pipe on my bike has looked like that for about 20 years! Just be aware that no amount of polishing will change the appearance (which I must say I find quite attractive.)

although if you use a good quantity of autosol and a large amount of elbow grease you can remove it slightly. this is a common occurence on most bikes with chrome exhaust pipes. my dads triumph has it as well. it is something that affects all the bikes in the triumph range that triumph now offer free replacements under warranty!! aren't they nice!!

Original equipment exhausts tend to avoid blueing because they use twin wall construction, the inner is heated up by the exhaust gasses. The outer one looks nice (until it rusts).

I'm sure as a metallurgist I should know the chemical reaction that is taking place. Oxidation of the chrome plating or something. There is loads of heat coming from the exhaust gasses (>600C). Restrictions in the pipe (baffles or power reducing washers) will reduce the ability to dissipate the gas out the hole in the back.

There is some discussion in the following links about how to avoid it. Some cite tuning (over rich mixture...blocked air filter?) but all bikes with aftermarket exhausts do it. I think it looks good.

http://www.cycleexhaust.com/articles/blue_exhaust.html

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/archiv...php/t-1321.html

http://www.chromeheads.org/cgi-bin/discus/...pc=6&post=14037

Good luck.

Squirrel

• 2 weeks later...

nothing wrong with that. just remember if you go out after roads been gritted to clean thouroughly cause salt in grit ruins them and the rust sets in over night