Contact breakers regulation - too much off?

oscar_m
This post is 4038 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guys,

have a look here (XS400SE81):

contactbrk.jpg

I wanted to adjust my contact breakers, but it seems I am at the "end of scale" for them. I mean that the two cutouts at the LF plate are practicaly useless, and the screw at the RF is at the end of the oval hole. Do you think its time to exchange points or maybe I should play with "gap" setting (which seems correct 0.3-0.4 mm) and find the "best possible point", even though it will be off a bit?

The LF is pretty much ok (1mm to mark). The RF is like 3-4mm off the mark, so needs adjusting. Points aren't that expensive in the end, so maybe I'll change them anyway, but maybe issue is somewhere else (cam chain?)?

thanks

oskar

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its usually that the contacts have unevenly worn and that the gap differs between them.

I use a dwell meter to set the points so they are "timed" together, then I check the ignition timing

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online