Seat pan prongs

drewpy
This post is 6781 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have just got down to stripping my seat for powder coating, and apart from a bit of rust a few of the prongs that grip through the seat cover are missing. I have already trawled the net for answers, so you lot are my best and last hope :)

As i see it I have 3 options

1) replacing the prongs (and with what?)

2) ignoring that part of the seat, and let it flop (OOO Missus!!)

3) glue that part of the seat, bearing in mind it will be powder coated!! ( and what glue?)

I am using a new original Yam seat cover, so I am a little anxious to get it right first time

Of the original prongs (due to possible metal fatigue) is it best first to heat them before bending and powder coating?

Cheers

Drewpy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Post up a pic it would help us see where your coming from.

Definatly bend the pins before you have it powder coated otherwise you will crack it later

Does that mean the prongs should be sticking out horizonal, or near closed?

Here's a picture of the base with missing prongs. can I repair them or do i stick the seat with glue after powder coating?

seat%20prongs.jpg

• Admin

I personally would attempt to fix it first, if not then the glue option. Remember to put a bolt in the hole before you get it powder coated as its a nightmare to clean the threads up otherwise. And a bolt is cheaper than a tap set ;)

I personally would attempt to fix it first, if not then the glue option. Remember to put a bolt in the hole before you get it powder coated as its a nightmare to clean the threads up otherwise. And a bolt is cheaper than a tap set ;)

Thanks, good idea regarding the threads

but my original question is... how do i repair the prongs/and or what glue should i use?

any ideas? :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online