scottoiler

R6 STE
This post is 6725 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Ive never used one to be honest, heard a lot of bad and good things about them though interested how you get on with it, once you eventually fit it ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Scottoilers are brilliant and I wish I bothered to spend the £70 or so on each of my bikes (but I don't)

You need to use the induction of the engine to suck the plunger out of the base of the scottoiler and allow the oil to flow to the injection head.

If the bike has a vacuum fuel tap it is best to break into that hose. Identify the vacuum hose, it is normally the smaller diameter, (pull it off, if fuel comes out you are wrong!). Cut the hose so that you have room to put the Tee shaped hose fitting in, insert the Tee fitting and rejoin the vacuum hoses, putting the scottoiler vacuum on the remaining stub.

If the bike has no vacuum tap the best way is to identify the stubs on the inlet manifold (between the carbs and the barrels (is the R6 fuel injected? this may not work). On each of these stubs there is a test port about 4mm in diameter with a rubber cap on it. This is used to balance the carbs. Removed the cap (probably easiest on LH cylinder, worst on 2 inner inlets) and fit the scottoiler vac tube there.

If there are no test ports you need to make your own. Remove air filter / carbs/ intake stub and drill stub so that you can put the vacuum stub in from the inside. This is a lot of work but not likely to be needed for a bike this new.

Whatever you do do not run the engine with any of these induction hoses open to air (you will probably hear the sucking) cos you can ingest dirty air rather than putting it through the air filter.

Take a look here http://www.scottoiler.co.uk/support_fitting.asp , they are sure to have good advice.

Sq

• 3 weeks later...

not contributing anything to the post, i know(sorry). but my oiler was a pain in the arse(not literally) just couldnt get on with it so removed it and went back to conventional methods

• 3 weeks later...

thaks for your help. took a bit of your advice to fit it. fitted a touring kit behind the number plate. it looked crap. so i managed to squeeze it under the seat. much better now. just a bit of advice for anyone else fitting one. make sure it's working correctly before you go out in the wet. I went to the bike show on the sunday. Wet Wet Wet! oily tyres and rain don't go well together. Happy riding. :blink: