DON'T BUY SUZUKI AS THEY CAN'T BE TRUSTED!

clarke
This post is 4042 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

All I can say is don't buy Suzuki.

You may remember I bought a new Suzuki V Strom last summer, after which Suzuki wrote to me welcoming me to the Suzuki brand and confirm I had 3 years warranty and 3 years breakdown cover.

All was going well, the bike being great & I couldn't be happier until January this year when Suzuki started sending letters to owners saying the 3 year warranty/breakdown cover was an error and should be 2 year warranty and 1 year breakdown cover. At the same time posts began appearing on a V Strom forum of a potential design flaw with the bike. Other owners started posting they had contacted Suzuki who said the 2013 letters were in error & to ignore them.

When I received a letter I phoned Suzuki customer services who said their system showed my bike had the 3 year warranty/breakdown cover and it was only bikes purchased after October 2013 that we're mistakenly informed of 3 year warranty etc. I was told they would be in touch to confirm.

Yesterday I called Suzuki to chase confirmation of the 3 years as had no confirmation & they're now stating I don't have the 3 year cover and are refusing to honour their agreement. I sent them a complaint and they still say the same thing & are telling me to take it up with the dealer.

I am planning on escalating this to Suzuki's CEO as it's disgusting they are backing out of something 6 months later, and I will seek further advice. My dealer said they will petition Suzuki on my behalf but I don't have much faith they'll get a better response.

In the meantime I would strongly advise you (& your friends) to go elsewhere for a bike as Suzuki are likely to go back on their word half a year after you buy a bike!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I like Suzuki's, never had anything major go wrong with them.

That said, it looks like you need to see what clause in the agreement you signed says they can get out of honoring the 3 years (probably E&O excluded). At which point you tell them the only reason you brought the bike was due to the 3 year warranty and you want your money back.

I mentioned that, however they're saying the promotion only started after I'd bought the bike, but given on 4th Feb I was told I was covered by the deal I'm not impressed at all. I would have thought whether Suzuki was right or not they would honour it as an act of good faith regardless. I can't see 2 additional years road assistant would cost Suzuki that much as they'll have a corporate contract with the AA, and as far as warranty, everyone knows Suzuki's reputation for being bullet proof. What concerns me is the posting about design flaws with the wiring loom on the bike (sourced from a Suzuki dealership mechanic) which I can only presume is why Suzuki has begun sending out these letters.

If it was a genuine error last year and they had contacted me August or early September last year I might have accepted it, but to go about it in this manner 6 months later, give me conflicting information and not even apologise for not getting in touch, I certainly won't buy a new Suzuki again.

It does on the letter from Suzuki dated 15 August 2012...

The document I signed to purchase the bike does not mention warranty lengths etc. This was a Suzuki promotion which they confirmed I had and are now going back on.

All I can do is warn you all of my experience. It seems the letter Suzuki sent me on 15 August is not worth the paper it's written on.

I would say that it would have to be extended as an act of good faith then or as a result of a backlash of people affected.

The design flaw would be different. This may mean a recall for work to be done and even if this doesn't happen, The bike needs to be "fit for purpose and merchantable quality" under the sales of goods act therefore even if the bike was out of warranty they should still be liable to repair it for free as a bike would be expected to last longer than a couple of years. Any tinterweb information that points to similar faults on the same bike just supports your case. It may affect the resale value though!

When I received a letter I phoned Suzuki customer services who said their system showed my bike had the 3 year warranty/breakdown cover and it was only bikes purchased after October 2013 that we're mistakenly informed of 3 year warranty etc. I was told they would be in touch to confirm.

Where not there yet, surely?

Ha ha ha, you're right, that should have been October 2012...! Teach me to write when I'm annoyed!

What is frustrating about this is that I was perfectly happy with Suzuki until this point (and their lack of customer service) & was planning to upgrade the 650 V Strom to the 2014 1000 V Strom due to be released soon, and I'd been saving for a M1800CR Intruder. My brother was extremely keen on buying a Gladius, until this debacle we'd have quite happily gone ahead. Shame really.

Still, my brother can go for a Honda Hornet instead and I'll look at Triumph Tigers/BMW GS and maybe something like the new Moto Guzzi Cali...

See. Everybody blames the bikes for the dealer screwups.

Just dont buy new. Or if you do take the car bike whatever and consider the issue done after screwing for the best price.

Warranties arent worth a wank and dealers would sell their soul for a sale. Any money back has to be counersigned by god (lower case pick you preference).

Enjoy the bike. Forget the warranty and breakdown stuff. You could have bought all that with money left buying ex demo insted.

As everybody knows im cynical. Im not often wrong though. As for forum gossip.....oh! hang on..!

i was just about to buy a fleet of suzuki bandits, :madflame: well guess what suzuki? you can fuck off im not doing now. :hah:

• Like 1

There's a reason why we're all on a Yamaha forum ;)

But seriously, take it up with Trading Standards. Their helplines are free, as is speaking to them in person. They will give you chapter and verse on the consumer law covering this and whether or not anything can be done about it.

Well, Colin Appleyards in Keighley where I purchased the bike from are escalating this through the ranks of Suzuki. Fair play to them as it's nothing to do with them really as it all stems from Suzuki being backtracking gits.

I still like the bike but am annoyed that following my 1st phone call to Suzuki when they said I had 3 year warranty/breakdown I could have found myself with a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere next summer & realised I was stranded as I didn't have breakdown cover.

Gits!

I'd still use Colin Appleyards in Keighley but think I'll stick to Yamahas in future

can go for a Honda Hornet instead and I'll look at Triumph Tigers/BMW GS and maybe something like the new Moto Guzzi Cali...

Take a look at the Ducati multi-strada, beautifull, my cousin got a deal, £ 7.500. :yeah: against list price of £11.000

That's a cracking deal. I'll have to bring your cousin along next time I buy a bike...!

Just a quick update, thanks to Colin Appleyards in Keighley (and in particular Kevin) Suzuki have sent me a letter today saying they'll honour the 3 year warranty and breakdown cover... It did take Kevin pretty much a week of going through Suzuki ranks mind.

buy ducati at your own peril, I get updates from VOSA monthly that includes safety recall lists, nearly every month a ducati is on it, if not them Aprilia or guzzi and even MV Agusta, never see much mention of jap bikes though

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

On a slightly different note I sell cars for a living. Dealers are not ALL bad whether they're bike or car dealers. Bike dealers have become more like the car dealerships with big comfy warm showrooms and free coffee and all that shite.

I feel the need to defend (some) of them who do a good job and genuinely want to look after their customers. Yes they need to make a profit but so do Tesco's and Asda and everyone else for that matter to survive.

The majority are tarred by the minority and as clarkegray says the dealer has worked hard to keep him happy and honour the promise given by Suzuki but it's the bad'uns that give the some of them their bad name.

If you have a dealer you can trust and double check any deal offered by going to another dealer for comparison's sake it should keep them honest, leave them a sensible margin and expect a good level of customer service. Easy you would think but so many get it wrong. Badly.

All the best, end of rant.

Davie.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online