Carb needs cleaning?

Baker.Ben
This post is 4116 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

Ive just bought an '05 DT125re yesterday. And I have 2 questions I need help with; First being am i correct in thinking that the choke lever pushed down is the choke on?

second being a little more 'techy'. sometimes the bike dies when at tick over. not instantly but just fades out after about 10-15 seconds. From what i know the bike was serviced and MoT'd last month so I'm assuming it is nothing major but I also know that the bike hasnt really been used over the past 6 months. Ive read a little bit into it and apprently it could be a build up for gunk in the carb? easily solved by taking it apart and giving it a good clean.

Is this an easy job to do at home and how do I do it?

Im not experienced in much mechanical work but I wouldnt consider myself a total novice.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated !

Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

pretty sure that you have to pull the choke out to engage it. dont have a dt my self but i think the carb is the same as an rxs.
carb strip down is easy. just start un screwing and it comes to pieces. just dont lose anything "like the little pin above the float"

Have you checked that the idle screw is in the rioght place though.. (adjusted so the rpm is correct)
Its also a good idea to have a look at the fule tap. and make sure fule comes through that at a constant rate.. This should have a fule filter on it.. they are easy to take off the tank. but you would want to keep your fule in a nice safe place 1st or its just going to go every where..

i would also check the airfilter. and anything that could mess with the fuel/air mixture.

all of that is really basic stuff though. you should be able to do all of it in less than an hour. (depending how full your fule tank is and how long it would take to drain IF you were to take the fule tap off) it still shouldnt take much more than an hour.

Ben

choke ON is whichever way lifts the plunger at the other end of the pivot ;)

I wouldnt rush into that carb clean before trying a few adjusments, you have the idle adjuster screw ( the big one with the spring on it) and also the air mixture screw.

seems to me that its running out of fuel so try turning the air mixture screw clockwise 1/2 turn and then re-setting the idle using the idle adjust...aka throttle stop...aka tickover screw

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online