New Sprockets and Chain Setup for XV125 Virago

Kelum
This post is 4185 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have bought front and rear sprockets with the chain, Genuine Japanese make. front 13 teeth, rear 46 teeth ( remember like it has to be 47) and 520 chain.

Just wanna know what would be the upper slack in the chain...should there be an upper slack? I know what happens with upper slack is that u start in neutral and right after u switch to the 1st gear...there is some powerful forward rotation of the front sprocket till slack straightens..if you get what I mean. This applies an unnecessary force on front sprocket teeth, front sprocket shaft, chain and the rear sprocket..in my other bike the front sprocket shaft was greatly worn so I had to get it the worn refilled with iron.

Am going to set up these to the same bike so dont wanna see that wearing happens again.

I think there should be no upper slack in the chain...what do u guys think? :)

bikechain.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi kelum" :jossun: you need slack, ..if its too tight, as soon as suspension loads up. stress is on the sprocket bearing, behind sprocket, [ on output shaft] rsulting in premature wear, the seal will also piss oil,

Hi kelum" :jossun: you need slack, ..if its too tight, as soon as suspension loads up. stress is on the sprocket bearing, behind sprocket, [ on output shaft] rsulting in premature wear, the seal will also piss oil,

Yeah Buddy thanks for info. I know that issue. What I am asking is do u need an upper slack..I have mentioned the issue I had in my bike. O think upper slack was too much right aft I shifted gear front sprocket would rotate a bit straining the whole thing..so I had to refill the sprocket shaft's sprocket-fitting end...did you mean there should be a slack at both up n down?