Front Forks Cosmetic Restoration ~ Zeal

GarnZ
This post is 4197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have decided to clean up the alloy lower front forks. I usually get them polished to look pretty.

This time I am going to have a crack at linishing and then hit them with non-yellowing clear lacquer.

Here they are now ~

DSCF2084.jpgDSCF2086.jpg

RegardZ.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd just wet and dry them, mop polish and use an alloy polish to finish (I prefer Peeks)

mine have been great for 6 years and still look good

Drewpy, thanks for your comment. I usually have the fork bottoms polished, however, I thought I would try and see if I can get that original finish.

DSCF2090.jpg

This first photo is the lower front fork of a Kawaski Z1,,, Polished.

DSCF2093.jpg

The seond photo is of the Yamaha Zeal .... Linished finish (stage one).

This was done very carefully on a bench-grinder linishing attachment using that pot scourer type belt.

I still have to "hand finish" by standing upright in a soft jaw vice and with a long piece of "3M" pot scourer work backward and forwards to get the desired finish.

I was surprised how good the "scourer" belt performed.... No groove or ripples. Stage two will tell me how well I've done, then (stage three), the POR "Glisten"...

the non-yellowing clear coat.

DSCF2067.jpg

Just in case some of you haven't seen the grinder attachment mentioned above, this is it!

RegardZ.

Very nice. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online