xvs1300 engine bars

sharpy55
This post is 4241 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks, had my 1300 Midnight Star for a month now. Fekin great :spin2: . I'm looking to fit engine bars and was hoping some of you might have advice, tips where to buy etc. Been on fleabay but wasn't sure of fit, quality. Also highway pegs to fit engine bars too. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sharpy.

I'm in NE Scotland :jossun:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought the Yamaha bars as I reckoned that they would be designed so that they don't touch down before the boards - not tested them that far though!

The only problem I had was extracting the original engine-to-frame bolt on the RHS above the engine. The bike is 2009 but bought unregistered with zero miles. The Yamaha factory must have emptied a whole tube of thread lock into it. After stripping the allen key socket trying to remove the bolt I ended up drilling through the centre of the bolt, hammering a small Torx key attachment (for an electric screwdriver) into the hole where the metal is softer and I finally managed to get it moving and out. With all the plastic around and it being just below the tank, heat wasn't an option. That was the only problem and everything else went well. Still not really sure about them though, as from the front, with the weird shaped headlight, the bike doesn't look that good with bars (in my opinion). However, I'm not about to take them off again as no doubt they must add some protection to the legs. Mine are below but don't have a pic from the front.

IMG_1129.jpg

The bags are Hepco & Becker that lock to the bike as well as being lockable themselves. I have added a small MRA winglet to the top of the screen which creates a good sized hole in the wind blast (although some might say it looks bad). I have also tilted the bars up very slightly and also, although not shown in the photo, turned the mirrors 180 degs. The visibility is still good but the bike is narrower for filtering and going around right handers - sometimes a little too close to the white line! With the addition of a Yamaha sissy bar and rack I had a slightly smaller rear plate made up by 'Motorshowplates' measuring 9" x 5"

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online