Jaydas Yamaha R1 diagnoses and warning to others with R1 2008

Jayda R1
This post is 4273 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All,

I am posting this to make you all aware that some Yamaha R1 2008's have factory defects regarding valve guides and valve failure....I have found his out due to my bike developing low compression and I have now had the engine stripped and my mechanic has informed me that for 1 guide and 1 valve to fail is very unusual and thinks that the valve guide and valve may not have been properly seated due excessive grinding paste which is used to seat the valve at initial run in.....My mechanic phoned yamaha and explained what he had found and requested they supply the parts for the repair....1x Headset 1x Valve guide inlet side 1x Valve .....and the said that unfortunately because he wasnt an authorised dealer that they couldnt help....I phoned them and told them that I had already been to my authorised dealer who investigated and then put the radiator back on wrongly after telling me it was a 'mare of a job' and it would cost me £1200 estimated just to take the engine out and put it back in before even fixing it....

So just to let you know that I have found 5 people do date who have had some loss or total loss of cylinder 3 pressure in their bikes.....all about the 6000 mile mark.....if you know anyone out there with a bike of the year and mileage make them aware of the potential problem that might arise....

Yamaha told me they could not help with the cost of the parts cause my bike was at an independant .......I told the woman that their so called Yamaha mechanic couldnt even put the radiator on properly and that they wanted me to let him tamper with my engine......so basically they wouldnt help ......that was nice of them.. .img3815x.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Jayda, That's what the small claims court is for, send them a letter to say you are going to proceed with a private prosecution (it's free) and tell them what has happened, you will be suprised how fast they will come back to you with an offer of the parts you need. Before you do tho write down all that the Yammie dickhead said and did to your bike so you don't forget. And produce photos of the offending parts, DO NOT email them send a snail mail registered. Good luck. :jossun:

Hi Jayda, That's what the small claims court is for, send them a letter to say you are going to proceed with a private prosecution (it's free) and tell them what has happened, you will be suprised how fast they will come back to you with an offer of the parts you need. Before you do tho write down all that the Yammie dickhead said and did to your bike so you don't forget. And produce photos of the offending parts, DO NOT email them send a snail mail registered. Good luck. :jossun:

Hi MRR,

Its just a cop out mate.....Yamaha are using the excuse that my bike is not at a dealership who charge £72 an hour btw. Even if it was I doubt if they would put it down to a factory error and so I would be £1200 out of pocket.... thats what I was quoted to remove and refit the engine and thats before they carried out any repair and cost of parts....

As far as small claims court goes.....its just too much hassle at the moment specially when they will claim the bike is out of warranty and explained that before they could assist in anyway the bike had to be at an approved dealer......aye right......I love the R1 so I will get it sorted and try and put what has been a very bad experience to bed.....When I trade it in next year I will either go for GSXR or Fireblade.....both of which I have never ridden ......so Yamaha have lost a good customer ....I have purchased new in the past R6 2004 and two R1's 2005 and 2007......I bought the 08 from a guy with 4300 on the clock so it wasn't new.....So Yamaha can rammit!!

Sorry to hear that Jayda, still it's their loss and hope you get it sorted,. As for "OUT OF WARRANTY" if there is a recognised fault ie known problem they are obliged to repair up to 5 years after original date of manufacture, see sale of goods act/european union directive on consumer goods, not many people know that there is a much longer WARRANTY period than they advertise. But truth to tell if you can't be arsed to do it then not much else to say really, unfortunately sometimes life gets in the way and time to do these things can be more than most people can spare. Wish you luck with your repairs mate. :jossun:

P.S repairs under said legislation are FREE due to it being a manufacturing error/fault.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online