satnav rip off.

up.yours
This post is 4262 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

right you here's a question for only the smart amongst you..

if you buy an updated sd card from say"Tom-tum, about £32 :eusa_think: would you then be able to (lend ) it to a mate,

so that he could maye copy it onto his own sd card, and use it free in his own satnav .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No idea Kev,,,,,, but this is something i need to do too. My maps are out of date and i need to up-grade.

I think some up-grade's are free but others cost a fortune.

Any idea's lads on Kev's prob and mine ???

I don't know either but I think that the satnav cards are a slightly different format so you would need to have a blank one that is satnav compatible. Also the files may not easily transfer due to their format.

Although most satnav units are card free, this is how they update some built in car satnavs.

I had the same problem with my tomtom so I brought a different one with lifetime upgrades. Not as good though and if it wasn't for the upgrades would sell it.

Obviously a hypothetical question I would guess!!

Aye,,,, mine is a car satnav,,,, there's no card,,, think ya just up-grade the maps to it from computer,,,,, i think :shrug:

I would have to say no as the sat is tracking you and your id#. 2 identical #'s ...well way to easy to find

2wheels the nav system is right in the main puter updates only if you pay..but they can still track you even if you don't pay for the maps. Same as cell phones ,credit cards we all have been chiped to/till death do us part

BEWARE they are following U everymove you make LOL

Google sat maps have been working well for me lately, mind some can be 3+ yrs old,,, but if you keep zooming in on a postal code you can get right down to street level almost looking right into your own house and just walk around using the little man.

Quite amazing my son showed me this in the spring ......... a quick look around of the area before I go when I get there its easy to find my way around ...like I been ther before.

I have never tried it before to locate anything in europe but I am going to check it out. Ok just did I need a postal code

Try and enter london Ontario Canada n5z 2c7 you can take a stroll through london Ontario

the reason im asking this ,is because the binatone carrera i picked up at a local sale,

has a Tom-tum SD card in it,

the satnav works ok and the speed cameras work(well some do) ,but takes me around the old roads rather than where my updated garmin nuvi takes me.

i have looked at upgrading the maps but it appears the unit is that old thier arn't any upgrades available.

and was wondering if i could borrow a card with added maps in my unit.

I have a tomtom 510 uk/ireland and a 710 with all of europe maps on it . If you put the latest Europe memory card in the 510 it tells you it has no maps on it , you used to be able to swap em though at one time, obviously tom tom got wise to this , cos al i used to dol was put the latest maps and speed cameras from the 710 in the 510, but the 710 wil not charge its battery now so it cou7ld be for the bin , If yuo want to post me a 2gig SD card i can copy the maps on it and try if you want

One of the reasons it's so 'expensive' these days (mine is something like a whole Eight pounds for 4 annual updates) is that people kept ripping them off.

right you here's a question for only the smart amongst you..

if you buy an updated sd card from say"Tom-tum, about £32 :eusa_think: would you then be able to (lend ) it to a mate,

so that he could maye copy it onto his own sd card, and use it free in his own satnav .

Not so sure about the 'smart',,,,

The answer is yes,, and no

Yes it might work for a while, or forever.

No, because it is illegal. End users never own any software, they own a license to use it, one license.... so give it to someone else and they could take you to court. In 25 years in IT, I cannot recall a single individual being perused for such an offence

But to be honest, if it works, and you don't connect your GPS to the web (or via your PC to the web) then no-one will find out

I can see a visit to Strangeways coming on.

I can look after the RD for a few years for free if you want? I am such a nice chap!!

aw, your so caring newman , thats what i like about this forum , theirs always someone there to help in your moment of need.

anyway , the dumb fuck at work forgot it so i will have to wait for now.

just tried my mates andys sd card in my sat and the speed cameras are not their,

also poi are just the same as previous .

so in a nutshell it wont work, not on this 2006 binatone carrera anyway.i have checked on the webshite at binatone and i didn't find any updates for this perticular model,

so i will have to ride with my eyes open on my way to the squires meet.

Buy a proper ShatNav, ya cheapskate! :D

I can recommend the TomTom Rider v2 with UK maps. Pretty cheap these days if you shop around and far better overall than the Garmins.

:rofl:

I kid you not. The amount of people I know who've ditched their Garmin Nuvo or whatever because it didn't come with a headset, most headsets don't interface properly, it lost data, the mount or connector failed, the mount was crap, etc etc.

It's more expensive and has some pretty fancy features but is sorely lacking in many basics. The Rider isn't perfect and some services cost subscription fees, but so long as you update yer maps everythings cool and works fine.

Buy a proper ShatNav, ya cheapskate! :D

I can recommend the TomTom Rider v2 with UK maps. Pretty cheap these days if you shop around and far better overall than the Garmins.

this cost me two quid from the car boot sale ,you cheeky bugger.

:rofl:

yea i know what you meen

i also have a nuvi , miles better than the tomtum,

I kid you not. The amount of people I know who've ditched their Garmin Nuvo or whatever because it didn't come with a headset, most headsets don't interface properly, it lost data, the mount or connector failed, the mount was crap, etc etc.

It's more expensive and has some pretty fancy features but is sorely lacking in many basics. The Rider isn't perfect and some services cost subscription fees, but so long as you update yer maps everythings cool and works fine.

i find the mapping on the garmin far more detailed and advanced than the tomtum , the only prob with my perticular garmin is it doesn't have the all imporant ear jack that the older tom and the newer rider support.hence me picking this old cheep binatone.