Yamaha SR 250 Restoration

m3stone88
This post is 4295 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I'm mid way through a restoration of my 1993 SR250 only I didn't think to take any pictures throughout the process which i'm pretty gutted about now i'm on the forum.

I'll try my best to give you an idea of the state it was in when I bought it. The tank had been resprayed matt black and had white paint flecks all over it where someone must have been painting something else nearby.

The frame and pretty much everything else (litterally everything) had been hand painted with black gloss which was about 4-5mm thick in some places, and still wet underneath! Lot of gloss drip marks on the engine and chrome parts.

There was a home made sissy bar on the back which was just a piece of foam with a cheap imitation leather stuck on a piece of wood...The handlebar was bent from being dropped, mirrors scratched, exhaust hammered in at the end, a real state!

So my mentor and I began the task of stripping it down. Took an afternoon and a few bears too get it down to the frame then we started on taking the gloss off.

It turned out that the bike had had a decent metallic blue spray job done at some point in it's life but I wanted to start from scratch so the frame was taken down to the metal aswell as the tank, wheel spokes, bits that the sissy bar join onto (not sure what they're called), carb etc.

The frame had been primed and sprayed gloss black, not using actual gloss like the prvious owner, and the tank is primed ready for painting. Alot of the other parts are aluminium so have been polished up as they should be. The main body of the carb and barrell on the engine (I think that's what it's called) have been re-sprayed matt black, as there was no hope of hell of getting it back to original. And the engine plates had had the silver spray job removed and are being polished up as well.

TBC... (Going for a haircut)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

'Took an afternoon and a few bears too get it down to the frame then we started on taking the gloss off.'

Good luck with the restoration, you will discover spannering talents that will help with in all aspects of motorcycle ownership,

You would have made millions though, if you film the bears helping to strip the bike down,

LoL

Aj

Hi AJ,

Lol, yep the bears help alot! Quite knowlagable too :D

Here are a couple of pictures of the frame being resprayed.

562792_3999059608830_595763728_n.jpg

306854_3999059368824_1930685260_n.jpg

Edited by drewpy
fixed your pictures by searching your name in photobucket