1976 xs500 head gasket compression oil leak

corlon
This post is 4306 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just had my left bank carb reworked and now have a head gasket oil leak and the bike over heats at a normal operating temp. my tech suspects the cylinder has not seen compression in some time. wondering if anyone has any insight into this matter? what compression readings should i expect to see? can the head gasket be replaced on the bike or does the engine need to be removed?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright mate,

I dont know what the compression reading should be, however if you check the right cylinder and compare it with the left it should be roughly the same.

Did the problem start right after the carb work, if so I would be looking at checking the settings on the carb also compare the plug colours.

did a compression check on both cylinders. 110 on each. the bike ran fine before the carb rework. i brought it in because i thought the petcocks were leaking fuel. but is was the left carb float that was bad. it had a hole in it and would fill with fuel. replaced the float, had the needle cleaned up and both carbs adjusted / sync'd. now there is a left cylinder oil leak and over heat issue. the tech says in runs fine all day long at idle or around 30mph, but at 55-60mph and above it loses power and over heats. the tech suggested i get new needles for the float bowls and start there. what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

For the overheating I would check:

Timing

Valve clearances

Oil pump performance, oil pipes for blockages. Oil filters/strainers for blockages.

Carb rubbers

See it you can stop the leak by pinching the bolts up (a little tightening). If not then it is a new gasket.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online