Caliper Overhall Sr125 - Oh god, please help me.

thomasrolewis
This post is 4410 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Guys, How's everyone?

So before being able to ride my bike next week I decided that I will change the brake pads on my bike - well, wasn't I in for a treat. I mentioned in a post a while back that my caliper was stuck on my disk. Well I got it off and was welcomed with my brake pads crumbling off and what looks like nearly 20 years of crap (at this point I decided to redo my whole brake section.)

After struggling with getting the pin out, pads off and piston out due to corrosion - I decided that I should consult you guys too see what is best. Obviously it needs a bloody good clean, (good, cheap methods? WD40? Boil?) and I need new seals (It was missing one!?!?!) Also, probably a new piston too!

I have to rush off, but I will be back later. I will attach some pictures for you to look at. I might not be able to get the seals and piston before next wednesday so I want to get it cleaned up ready for them. Any suggestions on this would be great.

1euxsp.jpg

2uiax4j.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bin it the parts to repair will be more than the cost of a replacement from a braker.

I already have new pads, I'll just clean the piston with wirewool. The seals are £5 on ebay.

I don't really want to have to replace the whole caliper as it's pretty expensive. I guess I'll see when I have cleaned it up. If it looks bad still 'll try for a replacement from a breaker!

I already have new pads, I'll just clean the piston with wirewool. The seals are £5 on ebay.

I don't really want to have to replace the whole caliper as it's pretty expensive. I guess I'll see when I have cleaned it up. If it looks bad still 'll try for a replacement from a breaker!

You do realise your talking about high pressure hydraulic parts that your life can quite literally depend on. Its a polished machined surface. No mater what you remove the crud and crap with there will be marks that will ruin seals. Your going to have to replace the piston with the seals at the very least as well as thoughrougly cleaning the caliper body.

I know, you're totally right. But at the moment I can't afford to spend £30 on a new piston. I will clean it, and see what it's like. I will look at my local brakers for a better piston/ new calipar.

21 quid for seals and piston delivered on the bay.

Dear God, dont dare fit that piston then ride the bike.

The surface looks pitted, so its likely never to seal.

Not only will you be putting your own safety at risk, but also every other bugger on the roads :crazy:

As a result of other stupid twats on the roads, Ive had 2 trips to A&E in 12 months. Let me tell you, it fuckin hurts

Ride safe ;)

yes that piston is fucked . refitting that is the same as holding a loaded gun to your head and pulling the trigger and hoping the gun will not go off,,

Ok, I managed to sort some cash out for a new piston, just ordered it. It's 100% not worth risking anyones life for a sake of £25.

Thank you guys for talking some sense into my head.

Hopefully they will be here wednesday, that should give me enough times to completely clean the caliper and sort out some other little bits. I'm glad I checked now.

Heat, plusgas and a stud extractor should do it. LINKY These have an opposite thread so turn anticlockwise.

If the worst comes to the worst you may ned to drill the nipple. The good news is that it already has a centre hole. The heat of drilling often helps to losen the nipple as well. Just be careful because you will need to keep the caliper nipple thread intact. Lost of plusgas.

Anyone know where I can get a new set of seals for the caliper, not the piston seals but the dust ones for the mounting pistons. They look a bit like rubber springs? Does that make sense? I cannot find them for my bike, maybe there are generic ones for all calipers?

Hmmm by the power of Google I found this from another forum

"Public service announcement:

If you need to replace the sliding pin boots on your rear caliper on your Yamaha, you'll notice the parts aren't listed on the dealer's fiche. I laughed at my local Yam dealer when he said you have to replace the whole caliper body!

A quick shufty round the other manufacturer's fiches revealed a few bikes use the same Nissin caliper.

Here are the Honda part numbers for the rubber boots on the rear caliper:

45133-MA3-006 (Boot B)

45132-166-016 (Bush pin)

The front will be similar, Yam don't list them but the others do. I'll post up those later if anyone's interested.

Hope that helps a few of you."

Blimey Paul, what would we do without you?

Hmmm by the power of Google I found this from another forum

"Public service announcement:

If you need to replace the sliding pin boots on your rear caliper on your Yamaha, you'll notice the parts aren't listed on the dealer's fiche. I laughed at my local Yam dealer when he said you have to replace the whole caliper body!

A quick shufty round the other manufacturer's fiches revealed a few bikes use the same Nissin caliper.

Here are the Honda part numbers for the rubber boots on the rear caliper:

45133-MA3-006 (Boot B)

45132-166-016 (Bush pin)

The front will be similar, Yam don't list them but the others do. I'll post up those later if anyone's interested.

Hope that helps a few of you."

You are my favourite person ever. Thank you kind sir.

It looks very, very similar. I looked on ebay, there are some held up against rulers. I checked mine and they are the same size, so fingers crossed it fits.

Pitty my haynes doesn't have bleed nipple sizes in, that would of helped. There is a bleed nipple here but it is for 1997-2000 which have 2 pistons, unlike my single one. I bet the size isn't different. But I don't really want to buy the wrong part.