Dragstar 650 main fuse?

bikerdude666
This post is 4466 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm looking to put my Dragstar back on the road after it's been sat in the garage for the last 4 years. Obviously the battery is now dead, and needs a new 1, but I tried to start it using a battery off another bike, but made the classic mistake of 'assuming' the battery terminals would be the same way around on all batteries, and connected it up the wrong way. I now have no power getting anywhere, no fuel pump, no spark, no lights/indicators/horn.....

I've located a fuse box next to the battery, but there are only about 4 fuses in there and none of them are rated high enough to be the main fuse and none are blown anyway, so my 1st question is, where is the main fuse located on a 1997 Dragstar 650 (normal dragstar not the classic).

Secondly, has anyone changed fork seals on a dragstar? Are they difficult to do? The seals on mine are completely perished, metal has rusted and expanded up pushing the dust seals out.

There were other questions I had, but I can't remember them now....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks 1 key thing 5 forgot to mention is, I'm living in Corby, and the bike is in my Dads garage in Bristol (140miles/2.5 hours away) however I got him to have a look, he found the fuse, and found the spare, fitted the spare and the old battery and I've once again got lights and it turns over, so just need a new spare 35A fuse and a new battery, seems I blew the fuse for the horn/indicators/brake light circuit aswell.

However hopefully I'll be able to order the few bits I want/need, go down for the weekend then MOT the bike on the Monday and ride it back.

Any other suggestions of things to check/replace after standing for 4 years. So far I've got:

Oil and filter

Brake fluid

Spark plugs

Definitely need new fork seals (do the forks need to come apart to fit complete new seals? It's not just the dust deals that have perished)

Oil all the cables

Possible drive shaft oil change

Clean air filter.

It was making a bit of an odd ticking noise last time I rode it, but its been suggested that that might be something to do with the exhaust manifold, someone else said it could be a valve not closing properly but the engine runs ok with no loss of power.

Forks apart for a seal change.

I would check the brake pistons for seizing.

Ticking (ping) sound possible exhaust. If it still pings when the engine is hot and off it will be the exhaust.

With the engine running, if the ticking is coming from the top of the cylinder it is possibly a tappet that need to be adjusted.

after 4 years you'll probably need to clean the carbs as well

Ah yes of course, don't want another episode of that...... didn't clean the carbs out on another bike and it waited until I was 140 miles from home to play up, ran on 1 cylinder unless it was at pretty much full throttle lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online