1986 FZ6 track bike

stealth94
This post is 4438 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello there, I'm pretty new to the motorcycle build/rebuilding scene and i was just wondering if anyone out there had some knowledge on the 1986 FZ6. I've been riding for like 6 years now however i never really had the chance of tearing down and rebuilding a bike till now.

Current project is making a 1986 FZ6 into a track bike for some of the local tracks in Wisconsin, till i get some experience and then upgrading later down the road. I got it free, it is missing quite a few peices (none too essential like plastics) but it does had a wire mess going on. It also has stage 7 jets and a kerker header with no can.

If anyone has any tips on building one of these guys up i'd love to hear it. And if there are any easy swaps that may increase performance that'd be pretty awesome as well. Thank you

Oh and does anyone know the stock length of the fork springs?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As it happens, I just got an official Yam service manual for the fz600 (in anticipation, thanks Brownie). A 1986 edition no less.

stock fork length is 517.5mm or 20.4". min free length 512.5 (19") the engine is an XJ600 and gas flowing and Neta exhaust seems to be the favoured route with a stage 3 dynojet!

Thank ya much good sir. Doesnt say anything about stage 7's though eh?

the bit about tuning I picked up off t'internet.

I did read that a few peeps have started racing the fz600 in a classification. So in the near future there will be more info out there.

certainly in racing, need to check the regs though as if in the proddy class there's not a lot you can do!

CRMC are the body that introduced the new proddy class for 80's sports bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Know anything about brake pads? I was looking at some on denniskirk but it says dont put these on unless your bike already had them. How do ik if my bike has had sintered or not? https://www.denniskirk.com/dp-brakes/dp-sport-hh-supersport-sintered-brake-pads.p195534.prd/193908.sku

just got an old 1993 PB magazine about tuning Fz's

thought I'd share it

d521ddf6.jpg

6b910d50.jpg

33f7b06c.jpg96f6767a.jpg

Know anything about brake pads? I was looking at some on denniskirk but it says dont put these on unless your bike already had them. How do ik if my bike has had sintered or not? https://www.denniski....prd/193908.sku

I think the only way to check is have a look at yours, sintered pads have metal sinters in them. they eat brake disks but are good.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online