Midrange XVS125

Morpheuz
This post is 4480 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi..

When people have been looking for more power on the XVS125, has anyone ever messed with the needle, or know how to get at it?

I've removed the rubber air restrictor on my airbox, and made a couple of holes in the backplates, and now I'm running lean, until it gets very hot, (a result of the lean stoich) the bike has problems accelerating, and will fart out if not feathered on the throttle.

I'm all sorted with getting at the main jet, but there may be instances where I will be running for some time at low throttle and I'd rather not overheat my machine.

Can anyone advise me here as how to get to the needle?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the needle is under the Vacuum chamber cover, 4 screws top of the carb, tbh i wouldnt run the engine with the rubber restrictor removed without a bigger main jet in, but saying that it wont run anyway above 1/4 throttle, you havent said if you have actually tested it first speed wise if thats what you are trying to achieve, if you havent you wont know if you have made it better or worse, have you done a compression test on both cylinders?

Ive no reason to believe the compression is a problem, I dont have a compression test kit, but Its nearly impossible to push when in 1st and engine is off, I can feel the compression when I give it a huge push and the piston moves. When running there is a large pulse coming from each exhausts... It probably does that anyway seeing as though its an explosion.. but its got 12,000 miles on it and seems fine.

Anyhow, its running a 95 main now and I've yet to test it at WOT by plug colour.

The midrange is definately lean, will this be ok in summer with less oxygen about? The full throttle part is fine, I'll have that sorted, I was just wondering weather it was worth changing the needle too, I dont wanna wreck my carb, once hot it does respond up to WOT, in summer that should be easier.

I may just cover the restrictor hole back up a bit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online