1978 DT 175

cladoo
This post is 4506 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am just starting to put the engine back together and when I went to put the clutch basket on I noticed that there is play between the gear and the basket. It moves about an 1/8 of an inch. Is that normal? It doesn't seem to me. I have a spare engine for it and on that clutch basket someone has welded the gear to the plate that is riveted to the basket. :eusa_think:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeah its quite normal for an old motor, there are rubber cush drives that wear a little in time, not much can be done other than find a basket with less wear

Having said that the welding isnt normal, it looks like someone has had it apart in the past...i would have a looksy at the spare engine basket

hi i have an engine taken apart and just had a look there is play but i dont think its 1/8 of an inch,maybe half of that.the engine that i have has only 15 thousand miles on it so might not be that worn yet .

Thanks guys! I think the play is normal also. The welding is definitely been done by someone. I think that street-able bikes had play built in to the clutches vs. mx bikes that don't need the play.

Hej da babes. not sure if the factory would "create" play especially for road bikes...

think you just got one with alot ov play...

I'd look to see if the welded Clutch/Gear has just shifted the play to the part adjacent to the two welded parts, before the final rebuild.

Better do it now that you have the engine in bits.

good luck babes.

xxx

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online