YZF600R Thundercat Clutch Replacement

piemuncher
This post is 4532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Picked me up my first big bike the other day and managed to negotiate myself a deal on it due it a slippy clutch between 5-7k revs. Second gear is fine (I made sure!) but in all gears when the engine gets up to speed the clutch slips so....

I've so far sourced friction plates and springs and the clutch cover gasket, is there any more I will need? It was serviced 700 miles ago so was hoping to re-use the drained all - bad idea?

Also, I do have an online copy of the haynes manual, but as per usual it manages to make the ordeal sound like brain surgery! I work on my own SR125, have restored a mobylette and do all the work to my own car so I know my way around an engine within reason (bottom end rebuilds are pushing it!)

So, what sort of time am I looking at to carry this out? Have I missed anything off of my list AAANND are there any tips or tricks that I could employ or bits that I might aswell replace whilst I'm in there?

Appreciate the help!

Pie

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might be jumping the gun here but have you tried adjusting the clutch? (i.e. cable & screw/locknut in sprocket cover). If you have then changing plates/springs is pretty straight forward. Sounds like you,ve got everything you need & yeah, it,s OK to re-use the oil. Hope this helps.

is it cable operated? change the cable first, or bleed the system.

I'd also check the pushrod as they get to stick with the rust that's not inside the engine

Hi thanks for your answers.

The clutch has been fully adjusted, its on 45,000 miles with the original clutch! Would like to replace them anyway for piece of mind as I'm planning on taking a pillion for a good amount of its riding.

Thanks for your help!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online