sr125 top speed problem

mojothejester
This post is 4542 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey again, sorry to bug you all, i got my sr125 working, also got a new 16 tooth sprocket on the front, but it still won't go any faster than before.

the rh panel did have holes drilled in, so i thought it may be running a bit lean. i was going along a straight, it was not accelerating past 50 so i covered one of the holes with my left hand and it started going faster (up to 62 before the corner came along).

i covered the holes, and now it still doesn't go faster. annoying. it revs freely sometimes, but the rest of the time it feels like there's a limiter lower in the rev range that shouldn't be there. when it revs freely i'll get 30mph in 1st, 40mph in 2nd, then i'm usually at a corner, then after the corner when i start going again it decides it doesn't want to go any faster than 50mph and won't rev as high.

someone mentioned a CDI is the thing that determines revs. could this be the problem?

Frustrated Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How fast do you expect it to go then ? You say it could be lean - what does the plug say ? What is standard gearing ?

To get something to go faster there are so many variables best thing to do is get it going right as standard first. If you want to p/m me i will help you if I can but get back to standard is the first point to get anywhere.

Everything is standard, except I put the 16 tooth sprocket up front (up from 14). I just want to be able to go at 60mph without revving its nuts off, as I use quite a lot of A roads and would like to be able to stick with traffic, not get passed by every single vehicle. I was going at 50 today in 4th, pulled the clutch in and the revs shot up. Dropped the clutch again and the revs went back down and I stayed at 50. So I don't know what the problem is. If its not a simple fix I'll just leave it and trade it in for a newer bike, as it still runs ok at town speeds, which is what most people would use this bike for.

A 16 tooth sprocket on the front will reduce the engine revs, but will drop your top speed and acceleration as the engine doesn't have the power. Ill bet when you drop it into 5th and come to a slight incline, the speed starts to drop away. I agree with triton, fit a standard sprocket and see what impact that has, and check your rear sprocket against a standard one, previous owner may have changed that

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online