XJ750 forks

slice
This post is 4599 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok I have a small problem with my front forks on the XJ750, the upper (chrome) legs are very badly pitted and I was wondering if it was possible to replace them with forks from some thing else? The only fly in the ointment is that the XJ has the anti dive setup on the lower end of the forks and I was wondering if I could simply do away with this.

Also would anyone know what forks would fit my frame without making it look to much of a frankenmachine, I would like to replace them with something from a lot newer machine but need some advice as to what would fit. The other alternative is to get the stancions rechromed but not sure if this could be done or what the cost would be so if you have any ideas (about my problem and not something that just popped into your head!) I would be really appreciative of some relavent advice. Thanks all. :jossun:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The forks are very long on the XJ and quite thin I cant think of anything that would fit also the they are leading axel and a normal setup would change the geometry, The A/Dive can be taken off then a blanking plate fitted, as for re-chroming somewhere between 150-200 pounds

Thanks Preload, that was what I wanted to hear, cheaper and more practical to rechrome than to bugger about with setting up replacement forks. So this winter off they come and over to the rechromers. :jossun:

Get yourself a copy of Old Bike Mart ( fortnightly ) there are plenty of trusted re chrome for fork people on there. As it is hard chrome they will be ground after rechroming and this is all in with the price as will be seals etc. The companies that do this will talk you through the process so no problems. Some adverts pop up from time to time in Classic Bike, Classic Mechanics etc but Old Bike Mart is a superb paper that has more contacts than you will need and is a superb reference for all things 2 and 3 wheel related. Dont be put off that it is mainly Brit stuff.

As for the anti dive - does it realy work anyway ? it was a 80's sales gimmick if the truth is admitted to realy. Just blank it off and I doubt you will see any difference. I am not sure of how your particular anti dive works but having blanked off quite a few versions over the years you should have no problem doing it.

Why not do a pictorial and post it on the site ?

Also the A/Dive units you can just leave off the extra hydraulic pipes it shouldn't leak as the brake fluid and fork oil don't mix anyway and it will save you trouble of making 2 plates.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online