1980 SR250 Starting Problem?

Jake Orr
This post is 4608 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I love this bike, but it only ran for 3 days after i bought it, and then it started to cut out :eusa_doh: It would basically feel like I was running out of gas and it would sputter out, but then restart afterwords. Anyways, the last time this happened, it just wouldn't start up again. I checked, and it has spark, it has fuel, and it's sucking in air with a clean filter, so what's my problem? I took a look in the carb and everything is really clean. It turns over and I can hear a little combustion but is just wont run. I did notice while holding the spark wire boot that I got shocked while looking for spark. Maybe an electrical issue? Ignition? Thanks for the help in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1980 thats old! how many miles, can you do a compression test?

you said you were looking for a spark but you didnt say if you found one?

It's got like 17k on it. I did get a spark. I just went to the Yamaha dealer and was told there's also been a bad batch of gas going around? I filled up like 75 miles before this happened but maybe the water got pooled in the carb and it pulls it during high rpms? I don't have a compression tester, but I can't push it in gear so it's obviously not terrible. I'm trying my new spark plug, new gas line, and new gas.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online