TRX - noisy camchain?

Chris
This post is 6977 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

bit of an odd one this, as I think that the TRX has started to make a weird ticking noise at tick-over, hard to say with the load-ish pipes.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, I think it could be the cam-chain rattling, it's unlikely to be top end (valves) as these were sorted (at great expense) less than 10,000 miles ago.

Any advice, info would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not sure about the TRX, but I know that IL4's make a weird ticking noise when the cam-chain is on it's last leg......almost like loose ball bearings rolling around in there or something? :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Stormy,

sorry can you tell me how to check if the tensioner is stuck?

cheers

Chris

bollocks, just knew he was gonna say that!

OK, first thing to remember is that once you have started to take the tensioner off the engine, you must take it right off and reset it, cos it's on a spring loaded ratchet mechanism.

Tensioner is on the rear of the cylinder block, on the right hand side. Do not turn the engine over with the tensioner removed!!!!!! not even a little bit!!!

1 Undo the larger centre nut from the tensioner, and remove it together with the springs.

2 Undo the two smaller screws, (make sure you know which way up the thing fits, mark it if necessary) and pull it off the block together with the plunger bits.

3 Chuck the old gasket away unless it remains stuck to the block in one piece.

4 Release the ratchet bit on top, and make sure the plunger can move without sticking. If it does stick, investigate to make sure there are no burrs or swarf inside the components, they should all slide easily.

5 Lubricate with a bit of engine oil, and reassemble, and hold the ratchet down and slide the plunger all the way home.

6 If the old gasket is still in place, put a bit of Hylomar or similiar (jointing compound) on the gasket, and refit the complete tensioner body back onto the engine, and tighten the screws fully.

7 Re-install the springs and the centre cap bolt, you'll possibly hear the plunger extend out to the chain with a series of small clicks, this is OK.

8 Turn the engine over a couple of times (not start it!), best way is via the bung on the left casing of the engine, take it out and use a socket on the exposed rotor bolt head.

9 If you hear the ratchet extending again as you turn the engine over, then you know it is taking up the slack in the chain, but you may not hear it, cos it's fairly quiet.

10 Yamaha now recommend that you take off the valve cover (which is not a 5 minute job!!) to check that the cams have not moved in relation to the timing marks, whether you do, is up to you, I didn't bother on mine.

If you're happy that all is well, start the bike and let it run at tickover for a few minutes. If the tensioner is working ok, then the engine shouldn't make any unusual noises. Sometimes, the engine will make a racket for a couple of seconds as the tensioner settles into it's final position. If any loud noises carry on for more than a few seconds (5-10), turn it off and check the cams and valve timing hasn't moved. You will need a manual for this job.

Hope this is ok.

regards

Stormy

You are a gentleman & a scolar. Thanx for that, it's snowing here at the moment so it'll have to wait for a dry day, the joy of no garage!

But, your explanation is very clear, so barring acts of mechanical incompetance I see no problem with checking this out.

Will arm myself with a new gasket and sealing compound - just in case.

Thank you again

Cheers

Chris :

• 1 month later...

Hi Stormy,

cam-chain noisy now gone, this following a 25 mile slow-ish ride on the way to the dealers to get it checked - which was immediately followed by a 150 miles quick-ish ride when I realised that my bike wasn't about to expire on me - thanks for the sound advise that you sent, have saved for future reference.

Have just seen the pic of your TRX in the gallery, very flash looking - so go on then what are the "few modifications".

Spotted the end cans, usd forks, belly pan, what else?

cheers

Chris :offtopic:

what a lot of people dont check when they think of cam chain noise is their carb balance,if there is an awfu racket out of balance carbs can do it or even dirty carbs if the bike has been stood over winter,especially if the bike was ok before the winter

ignore the above if you have a single cylinder or a 2 stroke :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for this - haviig racked up about 500 miles last weekend it does seem better, but will clean carbs anyway.

thanks

Chris

what a lot of people dont check when they think of cam chain noise is their carb balance,if there is an awfu racket out of balance carbs can do it or even dirty carbs if the bike has been stood over winter,especially if the bike was ok before the winter

ignore the above if you have a single cylinder or a 2 stroke :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online