New Bike :D

liam.harvison
This post is 4624 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys! Just joined the forum as I'm going to collect a Brand new YBR125 on the 23rd of this month. I have all of the gear and everything and just completed my CBT yesterday on a scooter as I turn 17 on the day I collect it. Does anyone have any tips for me atall about anything, considering I'm going to be commuting 24 miles on it every day? Thanks very much, all comments appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you ridden a bike before? Other than the scooter?

You should be fine if you don't like ride like a maniac. Remember to keep it maintained. 24miles everyday, I hope you have some wet weather gear. :D

Welcome :hyper: I initially commuted roughly tye same distance on a vara 125 and most recently on my Fazer600. I ride in all weathers except snow / ice. My personal tips would be:

1. Take time to ensure all your clothing is securely fastened etc before setting off (assuming it's fit for purpose) as a small gap can freece you to death after ten mins on a cold morning,

2. Use ear plugs - I didn't initially and I swear it was starting to affect my hearing. It's surprising how much you do get used to them and they make a long ride more comfortable.

3. No brainer - as Thumper600 rightly says above - keep her maintained.

4. Assume that all drivers never see you - and that on wet days, it's usually Rent-a-idiot week & they're all driving to the convention :crazy:

5. Personally I invested in a Hein Gericke high vis jacket and I'm fairly convinced that it does raise your visibility to other road users - and thus your odds of getting a telegram from the Queen one day

Ride safe.

thankyou both for your tips! I have done a 1 hour trial on a geared bike from my local bike shop, and i think my clothes are decent, triumph stuff. Also, Mallory1, would you really need ear plugs even though the bike isnt that loud? Thanks for your comments!

It's only my personal experience but I thought the same when I started on my 125 - I commuted daily on it + I found the cumulative effect of wind noise did have a -ve effect. I've read some comments from much more experienced bikers singing the praises of earplugs and I have to say I've been won over myself. I find they give you a much more comfortable 'environment' when riding whilst also protecting your hearing. That said, if it's just a quick ride you're gonna be ok - I'm thinking more about long(ish) daily commutes.

Also - one thing that I have learned recently (and I know this will be old news to many) is never to brake in a bend if I can help it. I've been really trying recently to brake / adopt road position / accelerate through & out of the corner.. This has made my riding so much safer & controlled.

Hey mate. I'm about 6 months past my CBT (which was two years old) and learning everytime I go out on the bike. Ride confident but not like a twat. Feel the bike and the road, recognize balance and weight, how they shift and respond to throttle control and breaking. Your mirrors are your best friends. You might think just rolling off the throttle is fine for slowing down (but when some muppet is behind you doing 50mph and you're slowing down by rolling off your throttle and there's no brake light - he'll run into you) but be sure to feather the rear or front brake.

Honesly, get some lessons sooner rather than later, I learned some valuable, priceless tips fromt my instructors. One, proffesional racer about counter steering (until you know, you just don't know) and the other intsructor saved my kneck on emergancy stops.

Another more grim point is treat every other road user like they're trying to kill you. Not the chirpiest of hints but it does bring the fact that a strong gust of wind never mind a car could send you into a fence post.

One more thing. Big bikes are WAAAY more easier to ride, especially on long journies. Stay safe and all said, it's way more fun than being stuck behind Radio2 at 8 am in the morning

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online