86 XT 400 Gear Shifter Shaft

Thumper600
This post is 4619 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys.

I've recently hit a tree stump on my 1986 XT 400 and broken the gear shifter shaft (luckily I have another XT 400 for spares). The shaft has broken flush with the motor, so no way to reattach (weld etc).

I have searched and searched for a way to change this, does anyone know how to change the shaft? The only way I can see is to drop the whole motor out and disassemble the top end to be able to even get to where I shifter shaft is, I've asked a few people and all they say is "You should be able to just slide it out" however it is not this simple.

Any help at all would be appreciated,

Cheers, Ricky.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not a bike we had here Ricky but I would think that you have been told right up to a point, they usually do pull out from the right side of the bike...this will require removal of the clutch cover and possible disassembly and removal of the clutch. You would obviously need a clutch basket holding tool in order to remove the centre nut.

it may look similar to this but dunno for sure

%201855V-300E1/SHIFT%20SHAFT/"]http://62.5.189.98/yamahaeur/user/moto/Motorcycle%201986-1992/XT350%2088/55V0%20(GRC)%201988%20[130]%201855V-300E1/SHIFT%20SHAFT/

Cheers for the responce, however as the diagram on that link shows only one shaft the XT 400 (identical motor to the XT 550 but not XT 350) has two seperate shafts, (diagram; http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1982-yamaha-xt550j/o/m8363#sch224700)

When it happened, I thought to my self "Great, no dramas, I'll just go home and swap them over" I removed the right side cover, but I then saw a shaft protruding from the motor, but it was parallel to the actual shifter shaft, and no way to remove the broken shaft itself. Surely there must be a way to change it without removing the motor. Most things on this bike are not a problem to fix, but this has me baffled.

Cheers!

Just incase anyone ever has this problem and searches these forums.

To get to the gear shifter shaft, you must remove head, barrel etc, split the crank case (on these bikes also removing the swing arm). What a mission to change such a small part!

Oh well, might aswell give her a freshen up while it's apart!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online