Yamaha XJ 600 Div Carb problems

Reesy
This post is 4636 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Its been a while since Ive been on here. Ill try to explain this the best I can. Its gonna be a long one.

I have been riding my XJ 600 diversion on a 98 plate around for a couple of months now and its been fine up until tuesday this week. I was riding it home from work in the rain and I noticed that it felt sluggish pulling off, but i put this down to the crap british summer and thought no more of it.

That was until the next day. It was on its centre stand with the engine running to warm the bike up before I set off for work, and I noticed petrol dripping, on looking further I noticed that the petrol was coming from the overflow pipe on the top of the futhest left carb on the bike. This stopped when the bike was revved but started again as soon as it was idling. I put the bike onto its side stand and the petrol stopped dripping. I rode the bike to work and it was fine when it was going but as soon as I stopped at the lights it started dripping again... But if i lean the big to the left slightly it stops.

So to cut a long story short when the bike is idling in an upright position petrol leaks from the overflow pipe on top of the carb, But when its idling at a lean or on its side stand it stops leaking.

I have taken the carbs of and given them a good clean but the problem is still there.

Whats really worrying me is that the overflow pipe drips the petrol directly onto the hot engine and exhaust.. so I have images of me being stopped at the lights and bursting into a ball of flames. Which i dont think would feel very nice!!!

Does anybody have any idea what this problem could be, or has anybody experienced this problem before. If so any advice on how to fix it.

Please Help!!!

I only passed my big bike test in may, and I effing love riding.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like the float in that carb is sticking or the seat and needle may be worn.

First try tapping the float bowl to see will it free,,,,,,,if not then youll have to look at the needle and its seat.

Hope This Helps

Sounds like the float in that carb is sticking or the seat and needle may be worn.

First try tapping the float bowl to see will it free,,,,,,,if not then youll have to look at the needle and its seat.

Hope This Helps

Thanks.

How can you tell if the seat and needle are worn?

Hi there Reesy, your problem sounds familiar. I have just rebuilt a pre-div XJ600 for commuting on, and after I got the engine running, it leaked fuel at a scary rate in the same way. I fixed it by installing new float needle valves. The problem is that the float needles have a rubber tip and it perishes over time. When it hardens, it fails to seal when the float is up, allowing petrol to leak past. It is really hard to tell if this has happened just by looking at the needles. It will only happen when the engine is running because the petcock only opens when there is vacuum from the intake manifold, allowing fuel into the float bowls. Its fine when not running (unless petcock has problems).

I used Tourmax carb refurb kits from wemoto. And I wrote about it here:

http://www.rolandbeverley.is-a-geek.com/blog/?m=201101

Check posts for Jan 27th and onward. Hope this helps!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online