Chinese Bike Disaster

cheerfulgrin
This post is 4687 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

long story short - i bought a chinese bike, it was rubbish, so i ended up in a dispute with the dealer and i didnt register the bike in my name as i thought it would be going back to the seller soon. i didnt have the V5 with the bike, it was supplied with just the new keeper slip.

the bike has now been stolen and I'm not registered as the keeper, is there anyway i can get it registered?

the form for a new V5 needs to have the VIN number, which i dont have, i bought a HPI check but that just gives the engine number, not the VIN.

i know i'm a numpty for not registering it, and this whole disaster has taught me some lessons, but i really need the insurance to pay out and i dont think they will without a V5 in my name :-(

anyone got any (sensible) ideas about this, i would love to hear them as I'm wracking my brains as to what to do next.

thanks

Rob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you got it from a dealer they should have had the V5 and it should have been sent back to DVLA to be registered in your name by them

if the V5 is lost then you should be able to get the new with the new keeper slip i think without paying the £25 , Explain to the insurance the dealer never sent the V5 in you ares till waiting for it, Is the VIN on the new keeper slip, It maybe that the VIN and engine number are the same

merv

Right, Firstly.....I hope you appriciate this, as being serious is not my default setting.

Across the top of my V5, printed in large white letters on an inch wide blue banner is the statement 'THIS DOCUMENT IS NOT PROOF OF OWNERSHIP' so maybe your insurance company might not require the V5 to be in your name, but if they do........

Having looked at my V5 new keepers section, 3/4 way down on the left hand sie there is a unique 'Doc. Ref. No.'

This number coresponds with the 'Document Reference Number' on the front page of the V5 except for the first number,

i.e - doument number front page = 1593 964 4923

doc ref No new keeper slip = 91593 964 4923

So when dealing with the DVLA, if you knock the first number off your Doc ref no on your new keeper slip, hey presto! you'll have the document reference number of your V5, which might make things easier.

BTW, my Yamaha engine number is not the same as the VIN/Frame number, not even close.

Hope this helps.

Lets hope the chav scum who nicked it have torched it! Chineese rubbish ought not to be on our streets!

yes i know i should send it off , but im not.

i have the new owner slip to my scooter, all you have to do is post it off with your address ,,,,then wait and wait and wait,,,, then when they are ready they will post your new one in your name back to you.

but it can take weeks.

very much appreciate your sensible responses, special thanks to leatherat for being serious :)

from what your saying i might not need the vin number if i have included the new keeper slip. fingers crossed then.

also, luckily, the very sweet lady copper who is dealing with the theft said she may be able to have a word with DVLA about it. not sure if it will help but i thanked her for offering.

reading these responses has at least stopped my heart palpitations temporarily, until i got home today and found that the dealer i filed a dispute with has filed a counterclaim against me, without defending my claim i think?

this law stuff is quite complicated :(

anyway, if he missed the deadline to file a defence then his efforts may be futile, not sure yet.

thanks again for the replies, i'll let you know how it turns out, more gripping than Eastenders this innit! lol :lol::blink: